Quantcast

Music

JET Magazine’s Editor in Chief Calls Fantasia Illiterate

By  | 18 Comments
Photo Credit: @tasiasword Instagram

Photo Credit: @tasiasword Instagram

Just days after Fantasia Barrino ranted about JET Magazine on her Instagram account after the publication decided to use a ten-year old photo for the cover versus the new photos she submitted, it appears that the magazine may have just made matters worse after issuing a public statement confirming that they were standing by their choice of which photo was used. The magazine claimed that they felt like the photos Fantasia submitted weren’t necessarily cover material, but the statement didn’t include an apology to the R&B singer. Fantasia told her fans on her Instagram account that she was upset that the magazine used the older photo because the interview she had with the publication was about how she’s moving forward as a person and as an artist.

In the rant, Fantasia wrote:

“This saddens Me!!! It is clear that this picture is 10 Years Old and JET Magazine puts it on the Cover!! And I send them the NEW LOOK AND DIRECTION..SAD!!! I WANT A PUBLIC APOLOGY FROM JET. Now I’m not sure if the interview is correct. SEE!!! America they and use me as they crash Dummy BUT NO MORE. IF I DON’T STAND FOR SOMETHING ILL FALL FOR ANYTHING.”

Despite the professional public statement released that calmly explained why Fanatsia’s new photos were not used, the Editor in Chief of the magazine took to her own Facebook account to launch a rant of her own. In the rant, she called the R&B singer illiterate.

Editor in Chief, Mitzi Miller, writes to friends:

“The fact that I wasted an hour of my workday writing a press release to address an issue created by a person who cannot even read it is just…”

Ouch. Eventually Miller had to put her foot in her mouth since one of her friends decided to put her blast and sent the message out. Of course Miller had to write an apology to Fantasia for the insult.

She writes:

“I apologize for the lack of sensitivity shown in my FaceBook post. It was a thoughtless comment made during a moment of frustration. It was unprofessional and not representative of the JET mission, which is to uplift. I regret letting my emotions get the best of me. I am truly apologetic.”
Mitzi Miller, Editor in Chief, JET

Messy.

1. Moe

February 27, 2013 at 10:06 am

LOL well damn!

February 27, 2013 at 10:07 am

Really though JET? Fantasia overacted (clearly) but that was just unprofessional and uncalled for.

• Debra

February 27, 2013 at 10:17 am

Cosign. And it’s really not a good look for the magazine either.

3. pRoy

February 27, 2013 at 10:08 am

Messy!

4. Izzy

February 27, 2013 at 10:09 am

I just can’t with JET lol…

5. O-La

February 27, 2013 at 10:10 am

#DEAD

6. Oprah's Wig

February 27, 2013 at 10:11 am

I know this isn’t supposed to be funny but I’m rolling over here…the shade was THICK. Lmbo!

7. Seriously?

February 27, 2013 at 10:12 am

Well Fantasia tried to read JET on IG and they read her and her reading skills. Hilarious.

• Michelle

February 27, 2013 at 10:22 am

LOL!

February 27, 2013 at 10:16 am

There was no need for the editor in chief to apologize. She meant what she said. How classless of her.

9. Barbee

February 27, 2013 at 10:20 am

Not cool!

10. Gretta

February 27, 2013 at 10:23 am

This is so ridiculous. lol

11. V

February 27, 2013 at 10:23 am

She was wrong for that!

12. Pat

February 27, 2013 at 10:25 am

And JET will continue to be a bootleg magazine that most people have already forgotten about…

13. Drea

February 27, 2013 at 5:01 pm

She shouldn’t have said that, however, I want to know who her messy “friend” was that put the comment out on blast like that. You can really find out who your TRUE friends are through social networks.

14. D. Val

February 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Wow.

15. DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

February 28, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Look, we all have bad days. And we’ve ALL gone OFF on facebook at some point or another. So Jet used a picture they found in archives instead of the ugly ones she sent- SO? Fantasia should not have questioned the truthfulness of the interview- DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS IN JOURNALISM? The BIGGEST insult! I think the lesson learned here is FACEBOOK IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. Apology accepted. Fantasia couldn’t dance naked in Times square to get me to care about her career. We forget so easily that she’s a home wrecka who got a tattoo of a MARRIED MAN’s name on her body. Sit down girl. Ms. Miller, that stung but she’ll live- STAY AWAY FROM SOCIAL MEDIA It’s a career Killa. We all lose our cool and vent to our peeps. I have certainly apologized to someone for the sake of the relationship then turned to my girls like “that is some stright up BS!” Like I said, Apology accepted. On to the next. Because of Jet people are talking about Fantasia again- Mitzi, JOB WELL DONE! I actually know about her album now. hahaha

16. jannie kiser

March 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm

This is why I stopped reading Jet a long time ok. To much junk and not enough substance. Even if she though the woman was illiterate she should have kept it to herself. She showed just how illiterate and classless she was, and she is supposed to be the editor and chief. Wow! How low have we sunk as African Americans when we constantly belittle each other.