Quantcast
Drake's Aaliyah Album Won't Be Released Due to Aaliyah's Mother

Music

Drake’s Aaliyah Album Won’t Be Released Due to Aaliyah’s Mother

Photo Credit: Instagram

Photo Credit: Instagram

Rapper Drake got mixed reactions would he confirmed he was working on releasing new music from Aaliyah and not everyone was happy to hear Drake’s vocals mixed in with unreleased Aaliyah tracks.

Even producer Timbaland called out Drake for working on the new project without any assistance from him and Missy Elliott, and some of Aaliyah’s own family members stated on social media that they did not support the album.

It now appears all of the criticism and backlash has led to the project being scrapped for good this time.

The producer Noah “40” Shebib tells Vibe:

“The world reacting to Drake’s involvement so negatively, I just wanted nothing to do with it. That was a very sad experience for me. I was naïve to the politics surrounding Aaliyah’s legacy and a bit ignorant to Timbaland’s relationship and everybody else involved and how they’d feel. Tim said to me, ‘Don’t stop, make the album.’ I think that was Tim taking the position of, ‘I’m not going to stop you. If you’re not going to do it, that’s your decision.’ But ultimately, I wasn’t comfortable and didn’t like the stigma.

“I was seven songs deep. [Aaliyah’s] mother saying, ‘I don’t want this out’ was enough for me. I walked away very quickly.”

1. Tasha

January 9, 2014 at 1:44 pm

If her family didn’t want this album out, than this is for the best. Sorry Drake.

• Fashionista

January 9, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I agree. You can’t be disrespectful to her family.

January 9, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Good! Drake needs to let her rest in peace!

3. Gretta

January 9, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I think this is for the best. The way they went about it was disrespectful anyway.

• 404

January 9, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Agreed.

4. My 2 Cents

January 9, 2014 at 1:47 pm

They weren’t even going to get Timbaland and Missy involved so I wasn’t checking for it. Sorry.

5. ANONYMOUS

January 9, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Thank goodness!

6. Izzy

January 9, 2014 at 1:49 pm

If Drake really wanted to do the album, the first thing he should have did was cleared it with the family. That’s the RESPECTFUL way to do things. Then he should have spoken to Timbaland and Missy. His arrogance hurt this project.

7. Shayla

January 9, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I heard her family doesn’t want a movie made either. Their wishes just need to be respected.

8. Sheila

January 9, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I’ll never understand Drake’s obsession with her. I mean I love her too but he is weird with it. Doesn’t he have a tat of her too? Weirdo.

• Jen

January 10, 2014 at 12:56 am

Yep

9. Yeah I Said It!

January 9, 2014 at 1:53 pm

This album needed to be shelved. From what I’ve heard with Drake and Chris, neither have no business using Aaliyah’s vocals. None it had that Aaliyah sound we loved back in the day.

10. Heather B.

January 9, 2014 at 1:59 pm

As much as I like Drake, I think this was for the best. I think people should let deceased artists rest in peace and not make money off them once they leave this earth. Not to mention leaving Timbaland and Missy out of the project when they helped Aaliyah become as big as she was didn’t make any sense.

11. Michelle

January 9, 2014 at 2:11 pm

His obsession with her was out of control and I can’t say I’m sorry or upset that his album with her won’t see the light of day. The way he went about trying to put out an album with her was all wrong and kinda disrespectful. He can’t just cut out the important people who she made great music with just bc he was crazy about her. His obsession is kinda freaky and I don’t mean that in a good way. So glad her mother shut this all the way down!!