'Married to Medicine' Star Dr. Jackie Defends Controversial Comments About Overweight Black Women

Reality TV

‘Married to Medicine’ Star Dr. Jackie Defends Controversial Comments About Overweight Black Women

Photo Credit: Bravo

Photo Credit: Bravo

Last night, season two of Bravo’s new hit show “Married to Medicine” premiered after RHOA, and the show had plenty of controversial moments already.

For one thing, people took to Twitter in large numbers to give their thoughts on Dr. Jackie’s comments regarding overweight black women and heart disease. It didn’t take long for Dr. Jackie to become a trending topic.

For those of you that may have missed it, Dr. Jackie couldn’t hold her tongue when a woman told her and Dr. Heavenly at a bowling alley gathering that she was proof that an “overweight” black woman could be happy and healthy without becoming skinny. That’s when Dr. Jackie shut her down and told her that obesity is directly linked to the high number of black women being diagnosed with heart disease.

That of course led to Dr. Jackie and Dr. Heavenly having a face-off on the subject, especially since Dr. Heavenly used to be overweight herself:

Regardless, some people felt Dr. Jackie was rude to the woman and they felt her comments were inappropriate to make at a bowling alley shindig, but the doctor took to her Twitter account to defend her actions. She tweets (read from top to bottom):

dr. jackie twitter

April 7, 2014 at 5:59 pm

YeSSSS UB! Thank you for starting to write about this show! It’s a really great show and I’m so addicted already. But on topic, I think Dr. Jackie was just telling the truth. We embrace obesity too much in our culture and we need to stop!

April 7, 2014 at 6:01 pm

It was my first time watching the show last night, and I must say it was more interesting than RHOA. Kenya’s whole situation with her dog made me so sad, so it was nice to laugh again with this show. I agree with Dr. Jackie because no matter how we slice it, a lot of us are dying from heat disease. We are not taking care of ourselves and it’s killing us more than breast cancer is. That’s scary.

April 7, 2014 at 6:03 pm

A lot of us are in denial about obesity. We keep trying to make it seem like it’s cute and it’s ok for it to be the norm for us. But it’s not healthy. I was very big and I decided to lose over 35 pounds because it got to the point where my arm would go numb. It freaked me out! Heart disease also runs in my family so I had to take it seriously. I’m still working towards losing more weight, but I defiantly understand how touchy this subject is for us.

• Anonymous

April 7, 2014 at 6:05 pm

*definitely*

• The Truth

April 7, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I’m glad to hear you are taking your health seriously.

• Anonymous

April 7, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Thank you. 🙂

4. Ms. Jackson

April 7, 2014 at 6:04 pm

This show is a hot mess, but very entertaining. I think I’m hooked. lol

5. Peachy

April 7, 2014 at 6:06 pm

The truth hurts. Yes, I know it may have hurt that woman’s feelings, but maybe it saved her life too. I am not down with the whole obesity is ok bandwagon. It’s not! It will take you out early if you don’t get it under control.

6. My 2 Cents

April 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Why were people mad at a doctor for dropping some knowledge? Obesity kills. That’s a fact. But I wish we would also stress that everyone should strive to have healthier lives. Being skinny doesn’t always mean you’re healthy either. We all have to do better.

7. Fashionista

April 7, 2014 at 6:08 pm

And what the hell was Mariah wearing here? She looks like an idiot.

• Hershey

April 7, 2014 at 6:14 pm

LMAO yessss! My whole Timeline on Twitter was dragging her for filth too!

• Heather B.

April 7, 2014 at 6:20 pm

That’s new money for you. I can’t believe her and Quad fell out already. Smh.

• Jasmine

April 7, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Really because I saw it a mile away! Mariah is really full of herself and that’s the recipe for some ruined friendships!

• Jasmine

April 7, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Girl a hot mess!!! But she thinks she looks good….lmao!!!!

April 7, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Yeah I can’t with these doctor’s wives fighting and acting like hood rats. And of course Bravo made sure to fire the only white woman too. They ain’t slick.

9. Barbee

April 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I didn’t watch! I hear it’s good…is it really?

• Queen

April 7, 2014 at 6:18 pm

It was my first time last night and I enjoyed it. I think I need to watch season one though so I can get a better understanding of the relationships. But it was entertaining from the first second. It really was better than RHOA was last night.

10. Jamaica

April 7, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Ok this is another sign that I need to take my a-s back to the gym this week. lol

• Gabriella

April 7, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Girl I have not been playing I joined crossfit even though I feel like dying every time I go lol it is helping me. I’m determined to see these abs lol.

• Im Sayin

April 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm

LOL me too!

11. robertaclash

April 7, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Gotta say…they came out swinging…DRAMA…DRAMA…DRAMA…get all DOLLED UP to BICKER!!!

• Anonymous

April 7, 2014 at 6:54 pm

lol yassss

12. Ratchet Queen

April 7, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Ok everyone was tweeting about this last night. I think I might have to start watching this, especially since RHOA is almost over for the season.

13. Gabriella

April 7, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I have never watched this show. But that lady was rude basically saying that the dentist wasn’t a doctor. She sounds stupid but anyways you can’t attack people when you are trying to get through to them. Being skinny doesn’t make you healthy. Black women and all women need to get healthy period skinny,thick,fat period. My sister is 5″10 130 lbs athletic built and she was damn near a diabetic a couple of years ago but you would never know. Everybody just needs to get healthier period.

• Anonymous

April 7, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Agreed!!!!

14. Seriously?

April 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Jackie told the truth and I’m glad she brought all of this to the forefront. We need to be more honest with ourselves about the effects of being overweight. It’s unhealthy. Hopefully that woman she got together didn’t see what Jackie said as disrespect. It came from a good place. But I’d love for them to also talk about other health issues that plague black people…this isn’t it and all of it isn’t tied to being obese.

April 7, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I bet they dragged the hell out of this doctor on twitter too. Black folks do not like people to tell us to lose weight. We need to believe obesity is ok (rolls eyes). lol. IJS!

16. Hater

April 7, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I’ve never watched this show before. But this clip was pretty interesting. I’ll start tuning in.

17. Mike

April 7, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I agree with Dr. Jackie. Everyone needs to be cautious about the health issues that come along with obesity, but as Gabriella and others have already mentioned, heart disease/obesity aren’t the only issues that plague the black community. We also need to talk more about diabetes too and even high blood pressure. I see a lot of that in my family and it takes people out. We all need to rethink what we’re eating and get more serious about exercising, big AND skinny.

April 7, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Never heard of this show before.

19. TheMrs

April 7, 2014 at 6:57 pm

It’s not always WHAT is said, it’s the delivery. Why has it become okay for people to be so disrespectful towards one another? Unfortunately, a lot of good advice is never received because of its foul delivery.

April 7, 2014 at 7:27 pm

she spoke the truth but the timing was bad

21. Deja

April 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Jackie has had breast cancer TWICE. So it’s changed her in a lot of ways and so she takes all of this very seriously. She wasn’t trying to hurt anyone or tear that woman down. She was trying to save her life. The truth isn’t always what we want to hear or said when we want to hear it.

April 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm

She spoke the truth.

• TheMrs

April 7, 2014 at 11:11 pm

I respect everyone’s point of view and I never said the message was wrong or the issue shouldn’t be addressed. I’m saying that you get better results when you speak the truth gently. My grandmother told me a long time ago “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar!” Manners still matter to me!