Pastor John Gray Admits to Cheating on Wife + Responds to Critics

ICYMI: Pastor John Gray Confesses to Cheating on His Wife + Responds to Criticism

Pastor John Gray

Photo Credit: OWN

Pastor John Gray cheated on his wife?

Houston, Texas pastor John Gray is continuing to raise eyebrows in 2019.

This time, the pastor admitted to his congregation that he cheated on his wife Aventer during his sermon fresh off being installed as head pastor at Relentless Church.

Before he revealed this to the congregation, he pulled his wife Pastor Aventer to the pulpit and shelled out great praise, including mentioning her health issues are being defeated.

During his confession to the congregation, John Gray shocked the crowd by saying the following:

…What they didn’t see is for the past two years, we weren’t sure if we would even make it.

Pastor Gray admitted he was failing as a husband despite growing in his role as a pastor. He even admitted to not being a good husband and father.

…And I was listening to the wrong voices and let some people get too close. [Aventer] found out and she set it off, like a good wife should.

Aventer than spoke and told the crowd that she was not going to allow the devil to remove her from the marriage and purpose.

What’s not gonna happen is I’m gonna lose my purpose because someone whispered to a 16 year-old John, the devil is a lie! I’m standing with my husband and you can go the pits of h*ll where you came from.

She also referred to the mistress as a “strange woman.”

Pastor John Gray responds to criticism.

After this clip went viral, Pastor John and Pastor Aventer received criticism from critics all over the internet. In response, the couple doubled down on their decision to stay and stand together.

John posted a message to his Instagram page and a photo of them with their two children in front of their new church.

View this post on Instagram

You can’t have my family devil. I know we’ve been back and forth about it. Low self esteem. Lack of fathering. No embracing of my true identity. Fear of failure. Listening to the wrong voices. Generational sin-and my lack of understanding about how you operate. Oh, and a lifetime of habits and bad decisions. That parts on me. But it’s the first Sunday of the year. So I just wanted you to know…YOU. CANT. HAVE. MY. FAMILY. Period! I’ll die for these three right here. And you’ll have to kill me to get near them! We are the GRAYS. My legacy is established. MY KING IS JESUS. My future is secure. And GOD IS EXALTED. Yeah, I’m done talking to you about us. And anyone you send to try to break us up-they all will fall. But I’m gonna be RIGHT HERE. #WeAreTheGrays #RelentlessFamily #FirstSundayFlow #JesusCoverMyFamily #AlsoGrowMeUp #AlsoGiveMeDiscernment #YearOfTheEstablishedMiracle

A post shared by John Gray (@realjohngray) on

January 8, 2019 at 2:16 pm

So this is why he bought her that car.

2. Megan

January 8, 2019 at 2:24 pm

Why can’t people see that this man is a fraud?

3. My 2 Cents

January 8, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Can you really be someone’s pastor when you’re out here cheating on your wife?

January 8, 2019 at 2:48 pm

This man and his wife are an example of people who become pastors and first ladies for the money and fame. But there will still be people who support them and refuse to see the red flags. Oh well.

5. Yeah I Said It!

January 8, 2019 at 2:50 pm

You mean to tell me the whole time he was trying to tell women how to become “wife material” so they could level up, he was out here hoeing like there was no tomorrow? Not surprising at all. That’s usually how it goes and why I don’t take most of these “pastors” seriously. LOL.

• Get Busy

January 8, 2019 at 2:58 pm

These pastors will spend hours and hours preaching about how a wife should submit and what she needs to do to keep her husband but they never spend time telling these men how to be husbands. This man doesn’t even know how to be a husband himself but he always has something to say about what women need to be doing.

6. D. Val

January 8, 2019 at 6:51 pm

People push love but rarely ever respect; and without the latter, love isn’t enough. You can’t tell me, preacher or not, how to be my best self for myself or anyone else, when your own personal decisions are immoral. The idea that we should separate anybody from their role as a pastor, artist, etc. has always been absurd to me. Being “human” doesn’t excuse poor decisions and these people are better off keeping their personal issues to themselves.

7. Casey Grimes-Finley

January 9, 2019 at 4:17 am

He /they are only humans for all we know she cheated on him,too.Nobody’s relationshiops,especially marriage are perfect.Thank you,Casey Grimes-Finley,Chicago,Illinois

8. Anita H

January 9, 2019 at 7:44 pm

He never passed muster with me even when he was with Joel Olsteen. I think that he came out because he felt like the Mistress was going to rat him out …… so he put it out there first. Who knows, maybe she has a “blue dress” of proof. Anyways, you do see that he waited until he was installed as the pastor before bringing forth this revelation. If he were on the up and up, he would have revealed this during the vetting process before the decision was finalized to make him the pastor of the church. Then, the extravagant car……..it’s ridiculous.

9. Adele Johnson

January 9, 2019 at 11:37 pm

As a pastor for 30 years, I thank God for 51 years of fidelity in my marriage, but it’s only because of God’s grace! I commend the Grays for receiving God’s grace and staying in the race in spite of moral failure. We who are spiritual must restore Pastor Gray in the spirit of meekness considering we can also be tempted.
    God forgave David after he slept with Bathsheba. Do not despise God’s grace. We all need it!

10. Embarrassed Blackwoman

January 10, 2019 at 1:30 am

Sickening…

11. Embarrassed Blackwoman

January 10, 2019 at 1:31 am

Sickening…unfortunately it is not the Devil who is a lie..

12. M. Evans

January 11, 2019 at 2:45 am

So sad!! I do hope his transgressions can be forgotten by his congregation. Many non churh goers and a few celebrities were following and listening to him. Whoever you are, trust and follow the non failing God. Pray for all pastors.

13. SICKOFTHIS

January 17, 2019 at 4:21 pm

JOHN GRAY ARE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER MAN HE WILL GO TO HELL FOR CHEATING ON HIS WIFE AND THESE WOMAN WILL GO TO HELL TOO .WOMAN NEED TO STOP TAKING THEM BACK IT NEEDS TO BE A LAW AND THESE MENS NEED TO GO TO JAIL NOT ONLY ARE CAUSE HEART BREAK BUT STD ,HIV HPB THEY NEED TO BE IN PRISON FOR 10 YEARS OR MORE THAN THE WIFE CAN STAY WITH THEM THE WOMAN THAT HE CHEATED WITH NEEDS TO GO TO JAIL TO THIS WILL STOP IT ALL, OF ALL PEOPLE A PASTOR SHOULD NOT BE OVER A CHURCH AND DOING THIS HE NEED TO STEP DOWN PRAY FOR ALL MARRIAGE MENS AND WOMAN BOTH CHEAT

14. Debra Dodd

March 31, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Praying for John Gray and Pastor Avetar!! Satan is attacking a Great Man & Woman Of God!!i it takes a Good man to talk about it!! God has forgiven him, so we should also forgive him!! And pray daily that he or her will not stumble in sin again! God is a MERCIFUL GOD!! He forgives us if we are repentant!! God Bless them and the church in JESUS NAME!!🙌✝️🙌