'Queen Sugar' Recap: Nova Comforts Charley + Darla Continues to Struggle

‘Queen Sugar’ Recap: Nova Comforts Charley + Darla Continues to Struggle

Queen Sugar Season 4 Episode 9 Recap

Photo Credit: OWN

By: A.J. Niles

On tonight’s “Queen Sugar,” Charley runs off to New Orleans after dealing with tremendous tragedy surrounding the fire of the mill. The destination of a bar leads Charley to a drunken stupor, and Nova’s the only one around who can help her during this low point.

Next, Violet confesses a hard truth to Hollywood regarding her mental health.ย  Then Micah turns to Ralph Angel for advice about his relationship. The community comes together at the Queen Sugar Mill to say enough is enough.

Here’s the recap for, “Stare at the Same Fires.”

1. Barbee

August 15, 2019 at 8:24 am

I hope Darla doesn’t relapse.

• L

August 16, 2019 at 1:53 pm

Me too. I am rooting doe Darla and want her to win!!! She takes a lickinโ€™ and keep standing and going but it is taking a toll on her now because she wants wants/loves RA. I hope they find their way back to each other. Hold on Darla!๐Ÿ™๐Ÿพ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿพ

• Mitchico Travis

August 17, 2019 at 7:50 am

Darla has come so far and I feel she can beat this addiction if she stay focused on Blue, no matter what if she can keep him as her center she can beat every thing else!!!!!

• Patricia Mcclodden

August 17, 2019 at 9:44 pm

I believe she will, it’s just a test of her faith. We all are going to be tested, tried by fire, either you’re going to past the test it fail, stand or fail, Amen.

2. VinVA

August 15, 2019 at 9:34 am

I think Darla relapsing would be too predictable…she has worked so hard to put that part of her life behind her…she deserves a break!

• L

August 16, 2019 at 1:54 pm

She does!!!!

3. MsJones2U

August 15, 2019 at 2:03 pm

It seemed the running theme throughout the episode is SUPPORT and how much we need it. Everyone needs it no matter how strong they think they are.
    Charley at the bar early in the day drinking cosmopolitans. Much stronger than wine. Trying to hide out and numb herself against all the pain she’s been feeling. Poor Charley, she’s been through a lot. Nova feeling isolated and unloved/unappreciated and also realizing the real pain she caused he love ones because of the reveals she exposed in her book, finds emotional/spiritual loving support and acceptance with her aunt. Micah with the uncertainty of consummating his relationship with Keke asks Ralph Angel for advice. Hollywood realizing the comments from his friends was shallow and might encourage violent behavior that could contribute to dysfunction in his and other relationships. Ralph Angel who could use some an understanding from the male perspective from other men who have the same struggles to withstand obstacles that keep them from achieving their dreams. Vi who is trying to understand the results of not confronting the emotional scars that remain with her from her marriage to and Jimmy Dale and its abusive nature. Even the young Mexican man who vandalized Vi’s cafe needed supportive and encouraging feedback to stay strong against manipulation of unscrupulous people. The lesson of the episode the recognition that we need each other. As written so eloquently by the late great Dr. Maya Angelou in her poem entitled Alone.

Alone, all alone
    Nobody, but nobody
    Can make it out here alone.

No shame in it. We all need each other. As always, ‘cain’t wait til the next episode!!’

4. Hillary B.

August 15, 2019 at 5:14 pm

I agree with Ms. McClodden 100%. Very good observation and well written. Support, support, support. Not only should we be willing to give it, but be willing to receive it when it comes our way. Open our eyes and recognize when someone is in need of help and recognize when help is staring us in the face.

5. April

August 15, 2019 at 5:36 pm

It was certainly a profound episode. Charleyโ€™s deep wailing cry still resonates with me today. It was so special to see how Nova supported her sister. I agree that support is an appropriate theme to give this episode. I recently lost my Labrador Retriever of 12 y/o. He was my best and most reliable friend. I adopted him as he was in training to be a Working Dog. I had that same cry when he passed on. I hope Darla calls her sponsor to get the desperate support she truly needs. I, too, look forward to the next episode. Maybe the theme will be forgiveness. Peace everyone.

6. Patricia Mcclodden

August 15, 2019 at 6:02 pm

It only shows us that all family’s have ups and downs, we all have struggles, but it’s ok to get angry, but we must not woddle I them. We must have forgiveness in our hearts. Sometimes family members get mad and stay mad forever. But when that person transitions then it’s to late to go to the and ask for forgiveness, it to ask them to forgive you. I see this far to often with my family members, disliking one another for little things, instead of going to that individual and asking for forgiveness, they choose to talk about each other and put each other down, they hang in clicks. But I continue to pray for us all because nobody’s perfect and God is the One in control. And I still love them and will be there for them if they ever need me, Amen.