Quantcast
Tammy Rivera Responds to Criticism over Her Recent Comments About Colorism

Tammy Rivera Responds to Criticism over Her Recent Comments About Colorism

[tps_footer]

[/tps_footer]

Photo Credit: We tv/YouTube

Tammy Rivera has no problem speaking her mind. She did a lot of that on “What The Flocka.” On the show, both Tammy and Waka Flocka opened up plenty about their marriage. It has had its ups and downs. Infidelities almost caused them to get a divorce. However, they are in a much better place now. So Tammy has been pretty vocal about other things on social media.

In fact, her recent social media post about colorism caused a lot of discussions.

And she even got called out by some of her followers.

June 10, 2020 at 5:42 pm

No progress will ever be made about colorism because there will continue to be light skin people like Tammy who won’t admit their privilege. Dark skinned people don’t have the same struggles as light skinned people. It’s ignorant to say otherwise. And she’s really tone deaf.

• Nikki

June 10, 2020 at 9:05 pm

I think Tammy made some great points. I am a dark-skinned woman and I don’t see anything wrong with what she said. She is only trying to unite us as black people but all some of you see is her light skin. Stop being bitter, get out of your feelings….AND HEAR HER MESSAGE! If progress won’t ever be made, it will be because of the bitter black people who continue to see negativity in anything and anybody that tries to be positive. It’s as if some of us are never freakin satisfied and can’t be happy unless there’s some negative shite going on. Some of yall feed off of drama, chaos, and being evil towards others. Sweep around your own front porch first. SMH!

• Anonymous

June 10, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Okay and I’m a light skinned woman who is fully aware of my privilege and I don’t choose to silence dark skinned women when they want to discuss colorism. Black people will never be united because we’re always trying to silence people whether it’s the LGBTQ community, dark skinned people who want to talk about colorism, victims of abuse, etc. So agree to disagree.

• Hershey

June 11, 2020 at 5:30 pm

THANK YOU!

• Girl bye

June 10, 2020 at 9:58 pm

U cant expect an ignorant uneducated girl whos married to wacka d-mn flocka of all ppl & continuously lies about her plastic surgery to make sensible statements.

• Noel

June 11, 2020 at 11:06 pm

Another light skinned woman here who has to agree that it is wrong to invalidate our darker brothers’ and sisters’ experiences. Just because we have family members and loved ones who are darker doesn’t mean we have identical experiences. There are too many ignorant black people out there who I have heard say crazy hurtful things about those with dark skin, some of them being dark skinned themselves, for me to shut down what one of our brothers or sisters have to say on the topic. Tammy has to realize that telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth is the only way to reach meaningful healing within our community.

2. And What?

June 10, 2020 at 5:46 pm

Oh look, dark skinned women being invalidated yet again when they discuss colorism. What’s new?

3. anon anon

June 10, 2020 at 5:50 pm

You can’t have an honest conversation about colorism and say that dark skinned people and light skinned people have the same struggle.

• Eva. E

June 11, 2020 at 4:21 pm

I have no problem with anyone voicing there opinion, I am a light black person. The problem I am having is when you are saying that we are privileged, don’t judge me and tell me I am privileged until you walk in my shoes. You can’t look at a complexion and make a judgement to say how they have been treated.

• anon anon

June 11, 2020 at 4:28 pm

You are privileged whether you want to see it or not. Stats back up that lighter skinned people of color are treated better in a society created by white supremacy. I’m light skinned too and used to think just like you until I began reading about things that made me uncomfortable. A lot of you don’t understand what colorism actually is and that’s the first obstacle in having this conversation. You think people are saying light skinned people don’t deal with racism or have struggles. No. Colorism means that darker skinned people have more struggles when it comes to systemic oppression. Those are facts and feelings won’t change that. A lot of you sound like white people when black people try to explain white privilege.

• Noel

June 11, 2020 at 11:09 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing i.e. that is just what white people say about not being privileged when they totally are without even realizing it.

• Eva E

June 12, 2020 at 2:38 am

I strongly disagree, you can not judge until you walk in a person’s shoes, I just do not believe that they are treated any worse than anyone else, I believe a lot of it has to do with insecurity issues, I don’t care what stats say.

• anon anon

June 12, 2020 at 6:39 am

Thank you for proving my point. And of course, you used the “dark-skinned people are just insecure” nonsense. How typical. Dark skinned people aren’t insecure. They’re knowledgeable about how they are treated. Maybe if you actually listened to them you’d know that. While you’re on here denying colorism is real, there are plenty of white people who feel Black people aren’t victims of systemic oppression and white supremacy isn’t real. Light skinned people like you are no different than racist white people. You refuse to acknowledge darker skinned people have more challenges in systemic oppression because you think doing so invalidates your struggles. That’s insecurity and ignorance. You’re just like the white people who are too ignorant to understand white privilege doesn’t mean white people don’t have struggles at all. Facts aren’t on your side. Hopefully one day you’ll get over yourself and actually read a book. Until then, talking to you is pointless, like it would be pointless talking to a white person in denial. Thank goodness more and more light skinned people are starting to educate ourselves on colorism. I’m so grateful I no longer think like you or Tammy.

4. Gladys

June 10, 2020 at 5:58 pm

Wake me up when light skinned women are associated with being manly, ugly, angry, violent, and evil because of their skin color. Bye.

• Tea

June 10, 2020 at 9:10 pm

There is never a right time to talk about colorism because people don’t actually want to talk about it. 🤷🏾‍♀️

• Nikki

June 10, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Wow! I’m 45 years old and have been dark-skinned my whole life. The police does not discriminate when they decide to shoot a black woman or black man. They don’t care if they are light or dark-skinned right? Some of the black females that have been shot dead recently were light-skinned females so what are you talking about?! Maybe the manly, ugly, angry, and violent is how you feel about yourself or portray yourself to others. Sounds like self hatred to me. I have never been told I am ugly, manly, etc by anyone. If anyone has seen me that way I never noticed it or acknowledged it. We are ALL black at the end of the day, going through the same struggles. That is what Tammy is trying to say. So stop hating yourself long enough HEAR THE MESSAGE! We deal with enough hatred from other races, we don’t need it coming from our own people. Think about it.

• Gladys

June 10, 2020 at 9:32 pm

That’s your experience and I respect it. I’ve definitely had close girlfriends call me and tell me black dudes told them they couldn’t be with them because they’re dark skinned. I’ve definitely spoken up for my dark skinned friend when someone bullied her for her complexion. I’ve definitely seen my light skinned friend get a slap on the wrist for stealing and her record expunged while someone darker we know got much worse for the same crime. And I’m privy to the studies that show darker skinned people get harsher sentencing and are more likely to be locked up. I’ve also seen the numerous posts on Twitter and beyond of black women and men saying all dark skinned women are ugly and ghetto.

• Kimberly

June 10, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Ah, the “you’re pretty for a dark-skinned girl but…” conversation. It’s terrible.

• V

June 11, 2020 at 9:30 am

Well said Gladys!

• Zora

June 11, 2020 at 9:40 am

You can come with hardcore facts and some light skinned women like Tammy will still gaslight you.

• Taylor

June 11, 2020 at 10:27 am

Thank you for touching on what colorism actually is – systemic oppression.

• Anon

June 11, 2020 at 9:28 am

Well Said!

• Zora

June 11, 2020 at 9:37 am

Exactly Gladys.

5. Anon

June 10, 2020 at 9:15 pm

I am so sick and tired of dark skinned women always wanting to play the victim, we are all black whether you are a light black person or a dark black person, I do not not believe one is anymore privileged or over the other, people have insecurity issues within themselves and like to point the finger at other’s. I am a light black person and I was treated no better than anyone else, dark skinned black people did not like you because you were not dark enough and white people did not like you because you were not light enough. I’m not complaining it is just the truth.

• Shut Up

June 12, 2020 at 6:42 am

You’re uneducated about colorism. People like you make the Black Lives Matter movement look like a joke.

6. Trisha

June 10, 2020 at 9:21 pm

We Light skin women need to get over ourselves and stop trying to silence dark skinned women. Tammy isn’t even black, she’s biracial. And seeing how colorist most rappers are, her skin tone probably played a huge role in her getting with Waka. You barely see dark skinned women in music videos. People love to ignore the obvious.

7. Oprah's Wig

June 10, 2020 at 9:43 pm

I think colorism is something a lot of black people don’t want to talk about. It’s something that’s swept under the rug but a great book about colorism is The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. It was published in 1970 and it’s still very relevant today.

8. Deja

June 10, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Black people aren’t a monolith. To be honest, we don’t all have the same struggles. Truth is our experiences do come down to socioeconomics, upbringing/childhood, and yes, our appearance. People will treat you differently by how you look. I’ve heard some black people say they have never experienced racism believe it or not. And there are black people who experienced it at young age. So I think it’s fair to say that there are dark skinned women who have been treated differently for their skin tone. They should be allowed to speak on their experiences. It’s odd to me how quickly people rush to tell them to be quiet. Let them talk. Dialogue is needed and black people are able to discuss multiple things at once.

9. Meg

June 10, 2020 at 10:00 pm

This video was weird. She started off making good points but it got silly as it went on. She even said that she’s been told she acts dark skinned. So clearly, colorism is an issue in the black community if she sees people attribute behavior to skin tone. And it’s okay to talk about it.

10. Elizabeth

June 11, 2020 at 9:35 am

She didn’t make any good points at all. She deflected and she’s also misinformed about what colorism actually is. I’m sure she doesn’t know the true history of the paper bag test either.

• anon anon

June 11, 2020 at 10:00 am

True. A lot of people still think the Willie Lynch speech/letter was real.

• Taylor

June 11, 2020 at 10:26 am

Thank you. Dark-skinned girls being mean to light-skinned girls is not systemic oppression.

11. Quita

June 11, 2020 at 12:48 pm

This lady always got something to say. Please don’t speak u less you are spoken to.

Thank you Ma’am.

• Quita

June 11, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Lady don’t speak. Please.

12. Margaret M Parker

June 11, 2020 at 5:29 pm

I have to agree with Tammy. We Black women have to stop allowing the privileged to separate us. I am dark skinned but most of my huge family are as light as Tammy or lighter. Yet I never felt that anyone in the family treated me differently than any of my lighter skinned family. These light and dark skin issues start in school, making us hate each other, fight each other for absolutely no reason at all, while at the same time giving us reasons. STOP THE COLORISM. Pull each other up instead of kicking in the knee.

13. Hershey

June 11, 2020 at 5:32 pm

Anonymous hit it on the head. People talk about black lives matter but don’t even want to acknowledge colorism, homophobia, and misogyny in the black community. Makes no sense. Tammy needs to stop deflecting and actually learn about colorism. It’s not what she thinks it is!

14. Shayla

June 12, 2020 at 7:47 am

🤦🏾‍♀️

Thank goodness all light skinned people aren’t this clueless.

15. Victoria

June 12, 2020 at 8:46 am

Saw this tweet and it’s perfect for this post:

Dark skinned women are more likely to be domestic abuse victims, colorism gives darker people longer jail sentences, darker children are punished more harshly in school……the sh-t goes on. Colorism literally harms people. Put that “but we all black” sh-t to REST

To add: You are not pro black if you refuse to acknowledge colorism.