Quantcast
'Love and Hip Hop' to Expand to More Cities?

Urban Belle Magazine

Gossip

‘Love and Hip Hop’ to Expand to More Cities?

Photo Credit: VH1

Photo Credit: VH1

“Love and Hip Hop” quickly became one of VH1’s breakout reality shows after the world was exposed to the complicated relationship between rapper Jim Jones and his girlfriend (now fiancee) Chrissy Lampkin. Although both walked away from the series after they fell out with Executive Producer Mona Scott Young over what they felt were shady motives to invoke on-screen drama between Chrissy and Yandy Smith, the series then expanded to Atlanta. After just one season of “Love and Hip Hop Atlanta,” the Atlanta version speedily became the more popular of the two shows. In fact, the New York cast struggled so much in ratings that Mona has asked K. Michelle to agree to do a season with the New York cast before her own series launches on the network. Interestingly enough, it’s now being reported that the series will expand into more cities.

A source on the production staff tells the YBF that Mona and the VH1 executives are quietly working to possibly add shows in Los Angeles, New Orleans and Houston. And this tip surely matches up with the rumors that have been circulating around for weeks suggesting Ray J. and Teairra Mari are in talks to join the Los Angeles cast.

For the record, Mona Scott Young hasn’t denied or confirmed the rumors as of yet, and neither has VH1. But as the “Basketball Wives” franchise continues to struggle in ratings (the Miami cast is a sinking ship these days too), it’s very plausible that VH1 would be looking into expanding the one series that continues to pick up steam. Despite the decline in ratings for “Love and Hip Hop New York,” “Love and Hip Hop Atlanta” easily took the crown for the “Most Watched Cable Show” for summer 2013.

1. Yeah I Said It!

September 10, 2013 at 9:56 am

Mona is about to run this show to the ground just like Shaunie did. Reality shows have short shelf lives.

2. Shayla

September 10, 2013 at 9:57 am

Oh goodness. Make it stop. LOL.

3. Lisha

September 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

Mona better pay attention to BBW. Once you add the second show, that’s when the fall begins. The only franchise that can pull off that multiple cities thing is the housewives franchise.

September 10, 2013 at 10:00 am

I don’t think I’ll be watching. I’m honestly getting tired of all of these reality shows. There’s much better things to watch like the scripted shows. That’s why ratings are dropping. People are bored by reality shows.

5. Nessa

September 10, 2013 at 10:01 am

More foolery huh? I will pass. I’m just counting down until Scandal comes back on and Breaking Bad is great too. Scripted shows all day for me now.

6. Jamaica

September 10, 2013 at 10:02 am

WHY? The Atlanta show is already starting to get boring.

7. Michelle

September 10, 2013 at 10:02 am

Time to get a new hustle Mona. For the love of God…

8. Noel

September 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

It makes sense. Now I know we don’t care about Basketball Wives, but I can’t say I won’t watch this trainwreck run right into LA, Houston and the NO! I’m curious and Ray J is messy as hell. LOL.

9. Izzy

September 10, 2013 at 10:05 am

Ray J will just take shots at Kim and Kanye on each episode. Watch.

10. Peachy

September 10, 2013 at 10:05 am

I’m good. I think the ATL cast has given me enough ratchetness for the last two seasons.

September 10, 2013 at 10:06 am

Why do people watch this sh-t? It’s fake and embarrassing to all black people. There’s better things on TV now. Let these shows die off. Please.

12. anonymous

September 10, 2013 at 10:07 am

Pass. She should just stop with ATL. Too many spinoffs will kill this show completely.

September 10, 2013 at 10:08 am

So this is the best VH1 can do. No wonder their ratings suck. All they show is crappy reality shows and music videos.

14. Get Busy

September 10, 2013 at 10:09 am

Makes sense to me. Get money Mona.

15. Gabriella

September 10, 2013 at 10:42 am

I see what Mona is doing. LHH franchise is starting decline so she is trying to expand and make as much money as she can before it ends up like Basketball wives. I just know the fools she put on for my hometown will be a total embarrassment.