Queen Sugar Season 4 Episode 1 Recap: Pleasure is Black

‘Queen Sugar’ Recap: Nova’s Book Causes Problems for Charley & the Others

Queen Sugar Season 4 Episode 1 Recap

Photo Credit: OWN

By: A.J. Niles

On tonight’s season four premiere of “Queen Sugar,” the Bordelon family is doing quite well.

Charley was taken away on a surprise vacation and nominated for an award. Aunt Vi goes on her honeymoon only to return to her diner’s grand opening.

Lastly, Ralph Angel gets fantastic news from the state of Louisiana regarding his probation. However, this happiness is short-lived as Nova prepares to promote her impending bombshell of a book.

As manuscripts of the book become public, everyone gets blindsided before they even get a chance to prepare.

Here’s a recap for, “Pleasure is Black.”

1. And What?

June 12, 2019 at 11:21 pm

Nova is so selfish.

2. IJS

June 13, 2019 at 7:31 am

I’ve never liked Nova. She’s always been self righteous and hypocritical. If she’s going to put everyone’s dirty secrets in her book, I hope she included her own as well. But knowing her, she didn’t. I can’t stand her.

June 13, 2019 at 7:55 am

I think the most messed up thing Nova did was telling the world Blue isn’t biologically Ralph Angel’s son. She took away her brother’s right to decide how he wanted to handle that situation. She’s an awful person.

• King Bey

June 13, 2019 at 7:07 pm

I agree. Nova is way out of line. And the fact that she thinks she’s doing her family a huge favor makes me like her even less. She basically wrote a tell all book about her family. That’s messed up.

4. Lay Lay

June 13, 2019 at 10:10 am

If Nova causes Darla to relapse I’m done with her forever.

5. Im Sayin

June 13, 2019 at 10:19 am

I really don’t like Nova. For her to believe that putting her family’s business out there makes them free shows how fake woke she is. All it did was cause them more pain. She’s so annoying.

6. Ms. Jackson

June 13, 2019 at 10:23 am

I wonder if Nova spilled her own tea in the book. Did she write about how she was f-cking a married white cop while being a Black Lives Matter journalist? Did she write about how she sold dope as a side hustle and her weed caused a young black man to get locked up? Did she write about how she f-cked her sister’s ex boyfriend? And did she write about how she treated a known recovering drug addict like sh-t, nearly causing her to relapse? Nova ain’t sh-t. I never liked the character because she never practices any of the sh-t she preaches. She’s the messiest person in the family but pretends she’s so deep when she’s just as basic as they come. Charley and Ralph Angel deserve a better sibling.

• Viola

June 13, 2019 at 3:11 pm

Wait Nova and Remy actually took it to the next level?

7. Peachy

June 13, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Nova truly doesn’t care about anyone else’s feelings besides her own.

8. Jasmine

June 13, 2019 at 6:06 pm

I think this season will make up for the dud that was last season.

9. Georgea Muschel

June 14, 2019 at 1:01 am

I feel sorry for Rutina Wesley! She’s a good actress but she was given some sh-t story line as evidenced in this first episode. It is totally unrealistic to think that her character Nova would do something so stupid/clueless and self destructive. I blame the writers. It doesn’t make sense. Why not just go to family therapy instead? Poor writing!!!!!!

• Anon

June 14, 2019 at 10:31 am

I disagree. This tell all book is actually very true to Nova’s character. She has always been clueless, self destructive and a bit…well I don’t want to call her stupid but she hasn’t made the smartest decisions since season one. She’s the same one who had an affair with a married white police office despite being a BLM activist. If that ever got out, it would have ruined her entire career. She sold weed I believe…that could have went much worse in addition to the weed getting a young man locked up. She could have gotten locked up herself had she been caught. The Remy situation was also unwise as well. She’s just a very selfish character who hurts other people and thinks she’s in the right because she believes she’s intellectually and spiritually superior to everyone else. So yes, this is right up her alley. Hopefully, it will cause the downfall she needs to finally take a look at herself and become a better person.

10. brownsugaisladydi

June 14, 2019 at 9:40 am

Wow, thanks for the review, I cut my cable cord, OWN does not come on channel line up on Hulu Live. I appreciate your review, very good, my thoughts are did Nova, spill all the tea about her, screwing a married man, a married white cop, ..off to a good start..