Entertainment

Watch: ‘Empire’ Stars Perform on ‘American Idol’ + Iman Shumpert Backtracks

Photo Credit: FOX

Photo Credit: FOX

With “Empire” officially being one of the hottest shows on TV right now, it’s no surprise FOX is hoping the show’s success can save “American Idol” from cancellation. Two of the show’s biggest stars hit the stage last night to bring in more eyeballs to the talent competition.

Jussie Smollett and Bryshere “Yazz” Gray performed “No Apologies” and you can check out their performance below:

Taraji P. Henson didn’t hit the stage but she made an appearance as well. By the way, the “Empire” soundtrack is expected to beat out Madonna for the number one spot.

In related news, yesterday Cleveland Cavaliers player Iman Shumpert claimed he’s not happy with “Empire” because he feels like the show copied off him and Teyana Taylor for the basis of Hakeem Lyon and Tiana’s relationship.

Now he’s somewhat backtracking with the following statement:

The ‘Empire’ story pertaining to myself and my girlfriend Teyana has gotten out of hand. Fans of the show and friends have told us on many occasions that couple favors us but we do not all feel that our lives are being copied/stolen….I apologize to the actors on the show because they’re just being professionals and don’t deserve slander that’s not what I was trying to portray and I have to be more careful with my choice of words…I do not appreciate the writer using his questions with my answers to draw quotes like I was making these elaborate answers but that’s the media. The writer took a 2-3 min convo of locker room talk after a GREAT TEAM WIN and made it look like a sit down interview and it wasn’t….He twisted words to get the point that he wanted to get across. This is not that serious and though we don’t watch the show we are not against it.

March 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Was my baby daddy Jussie lip singing? Anyway, they did good.

2. julyol1972

March 13, 2015 at 7:39 pm

I love the fact that even though Jussie is gay, I’ve yet to talk to any woman who wouldn’t like him tap it if he wanted to! Now that’s some magic right there! Lol!

• Anonymous

March 13, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Yes, he can get it. He may be gay but he can still get it.

• Barbee

March 13, 2015 at 8:41 pm

lol

3. Peachy

March 13, 2015 at 7:39 pm

I wish it was longer. Anyway, Iman knows he said they were copied. Nobody took anything out of context. He’s just backtracking because him and Teyana got dragged for their delusions. And rightfully so.

4. Tea

March 13, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I just read his first statement/quotes. He definitely said Teyana’s whole character was stolen. I guess he was tired of getting dragged on Twitter. Lol!!

5. Yeah I Said It!

March 13, 2015 at 7:50 pm

They all backtrack when those draggings start rolling in. Anyway, I laughed at him stressing that him and Teyana don’t watch the show. Ok well it’s doing just fine without y’all watching. LOL.

6. Chelly

March 13, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Hakeem had so much energy. He has a great stage presence. And I need Iman to just take the L and move on. No one is checking for him or his boo. Seriously.

7. Gabriella

March 13, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Of course he is backtracking because he is getting dragged. Terrence Howard didn’t even know who he was bhahahahaha! I love Jussie & Yazz hell I love the whole cast Lee Daniels has really put together something special.

8. My Fave Ends Careers

March 13, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Teyana and her little boo got dragged right back down to earth. They aren’t relevant enough to have characters written based of their lives. She ain’t Rihanna and he ain’t LeBron. Two nobodies thinking they are more important than they really are. Like I said, Hakeem and Tiana are Chrihanna duplicates.

9. Lay Lay

March 13, 2015 at 8:02 pm

I see Fox trying to do a little cross promotion. I hate that Empire is being used to save American Idol. That show should have been cancelled a long time ago.

March 13, 2015 at 8:12 pm

All 3 of the sons are fine as hell.

• Fashionista

March 13, 2015 at 9:23 pm

They’re delicious.

11. Shut Up

March 13, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Of course he backtracked. What he said was some bullsh-t and he knows it. In what world are either of them even relevant enough to base a show characters off of?

• Ratchet Queen

March 13, 2015 at 9:15 pm

LMBO.

12. Lauren

March 13, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I’m loving the music from the show. I need to go buy the album off iTunes and support.

13. Get Busy

March 13, 2015 at 8:45 pm

I’m sure Lee Daniels has no idea who these two even are. Terrence Howard sure didn’t. Anyway, they have embarrassed themselves and should now sit down somewhere. This is why you don’t let Instagram and Twiter hype you up.