Album Sales Released for Kanye's 'Life of Pablo'

Music

Album Sales Released for Kanye’s ‘Life of Pablo’

According to Billboard, “Life of Pablo” should sell over 90,000 copies in its first week.

Billboard writes:

Kanye West scores his seventh No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart, as his latest release, The Life of Pablo, arrives atop the list. The set earning 94,000 equivalent album units in the week ending April 7, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 28,000 were in pure album sales — the rest were in streaming equivalent albums.

Chris Stapleton Surges to No. 2 on Billboard 200, Lukas Graham, Weezer and Twenty88 Debut in Top 10

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S. based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The new April 23-dated chart (where The Life of Pablo is No. 1) will be posted in full to Billboard’s websites on Tuesday, April 12.

The Life of Pablo is the first No. 1 on the Billboard 200 where the majority (70 percent, in fact) of its units were generated by streaming equivalent albums (SEA). Its 66,000 SEA units equates to just over 99 million U.S. streams for the album’s tracks in the week ending April 7. (Each SEA unit is equal to 1,500 streams from an album.)

1. And What?

April 11, 2016 at 4:57 pm

That’s all? You would think he would have done 5 times that considering how much he attention whores like his wife and her fam. I’m starting to feel like they attention whore and still produce mediocre results for all the attention whoring. Kim is always pulling some stunt on IG and her Vogue cover still flopped. Kylie is out here sleeping with a grown bums and her clothing line with Kendall at Pac Sun still flopped. Khloe used Lamar’s near death for publicity and her show still got cancelled. Bruce became a woman and his reality show flopped anyway. I mean I can go on.

2. Peachy

April 11, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Wait the album is for sale now? I thought he said he would never sale it?

• Tea

April 11, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Last time I looked he was only selling it on his website.

• Peachy

April 11, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Ok I didn’t know that. Thanks.

• Peachy

April 11, 2016 at 5:11 pm

*sell

April 11, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I hope Beyonce doesn’t put her album on Tidal first. I know Kanye has lost his touch but I don’t doubt his numbers would have been much higher if the didn’t put it on Tidal first. Same thing with Rihanna.

• Deja

April 11, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I don’t think Bey is going to go that route.

• Anonymous

April 11, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Matter of fact, where is her damn album?

• My Fave Ends Careers

April 11, 2016 at 5:29 pm

You know Rihanna’s sales have remained strong since she put the album up on iTunes. I know Tidal is doing better but they have a long way to go! Artists are literally hurting their sales by putting their music on Tidal first.

4. Heather B.

April 11, 2016 at 5:08 pm

These numbers aren’t good. Kanye is going to have to cut out the Kardashian antics if he wants to go back to spitting out platinum albums and being respected again. We can blame Tidal for the low sales to a degree but back in the day, Tidal wouldn’t have stopped people from buying Kanye’s album. His fan base isn’t as strong as it used to be and it shows. Yeezus didn’t sell that well either.

April 11, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Flop.

6. Chelly

April 11, 2016 at 5:15 pm

All those streams and it’s not even over 100,000. That’s insane. I see why a lot of artists aren’t here for streaming. Not only do they not get paid much from it, but it doesn’t even help their sales.

7. Lay Lay

April 11, 2016 at 5:54 pm

With streaming factored in, I expected much more.

8. Mike

April 12, 2016 at 2:16 pm

He probably won’t ever sell albums like he used to. His music isn’t dope anymore and he’s pretty much been reduced to being a Kardashian. He has classics though.