Entertainment

‘Real Housewives of New York’ Star Eboni K. Williams Responds to Criticism from Fan

Photo Credit: Bravo

Eboni K. Williams is already a controversial figure on RHONY.

Bravo has made a few changes on its “Real Housewives” shows. And it’s clear that the network has wanted to put more emphasis on having more diverse casts and tackling serious topics like police brutality and the Black Lives Matter Movement. On “Real Housewives of Atlanta,” the show focused on Porsha Williams’ activism. Plus, the ladies reacted to Breonna Taylor’s lack of justice in real-time.

The network also had a special on racism that included stars from multiple shows. Kandi Burruss was one of the executive producers. Kandi also pushed for the network to hire more black people in production roles.

While Bravo’s efforts have been well received by some viewers, others are not impressed. They think some of the shows are getting too political. And fans of “Real Housewives of New York” are divided about newbie Eboni K. Williams.

Eboni doesn’t mince words when she’s around the other women on the show. She brings up race and doesn’t mind educating other cast members about racism, black history, white privilege, and racial microaggressions. This has led to some of the other women saying they have felt they were being attacked by Eboni. And others have accused her of being too preachy.

Well, some fans of the show have the same sentiments. And recently, Eboni responded to someone who was critical of her actions on RHONY.

July 4, 2021 at 1:02 pm

I don’t watch RHONY so I can’t say Eboni is right or wrong but it does seem like Bravo intentionally hired one black woman to be pro black to make the white women uncomfortable and the other black woman to be all lives matter-ish to make the white women too comfortable. That’s extremely problematic to me.

• Rainbow

July 4, 2021 at 1:49 pm

They definitely set these black women up to fail and be hated.

2. Tammy

July 4, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Not feeling it this year Andy don’t like her at all. Someone who brags that much has nothing and she is not the most educated person Bethany blows her away.

• Rainbow

July 4, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Bethenny isn’t on the show anymore and Eboni is in fact the most educated and received the most education out of all the women on the show. But since you’re being petty, Eboni has has more education than Bethenny too so what’s up? Y’all will always have a problem with black women having confidence and being excellent. People ain’t happy unless black women are trashy and acting uncouth and ignorant on Bravo. That’s the only black women y’all like. Get over yourself.

• Viv

July 4, 2021 at 8:21 pm

This is so true. I’ve noticed how black women have to be stereotypical and dumb themselves down to succeed over at Bravo. Heavenly is a great example of that. It really makes me not want to watch any of this stuff anymore. You have to be really naive and privileged to expect to watch a reality show and not see the current reality (BLM, the election, police brutality, heightened racism regarding politics) be shown on these shows. So it’s okay to talk about these things on RHOP/RHOA/M2M but we’re not allowed to on RHONY? The audacity of these fans. Keep it up Eboni. We love you!

• My 2 Cents

July 4, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Girl bye. Eboni is an attorney. She is more educated than Bethenny who displayed her racism on WWHL a few years ago. Y’all be stanning any d-mn body.

• Tea

July 4, 2021 at 8:12 pm

Nope! Her name is spelled BETHENNY. Bethenny stopped at a master’s degree. Eboni has a Juris Doctorate. That makes Eboni more educated. Stay mad though! 😂

• Babygirl

July 4, 2021 at 8:29 pm

I think this is what Eboni is talking about. You’re literally saying a white woman who has less education than Eboni is more educated. Black women have to work harder and still get less respect. That’s not okay. This is why Eboni is needed. She is bringing attention to the racial microaggressions that women of color deal with everyday and right now y’all are telling us to shut up instead of listening.

• BlaqueScorpion

July 7, 2021 at 5:29 am

Really, while I love Bethany she has a BA from Boston University and Eboni is an attorney. You may want to rethink your that. IJS

3. Old School

July 4, 2021 at 1:56 pm

It’s interesting that black people are forced to learn white and fraudulent history but white women on RHONY are playing victim because a black woman wants to teach our truth on a platform millions watch. On top of that, you have other black people just as uncomfortable by a black woman loving her blackness and calling out micro aggressions.

4. Peachy

July 4, 2021 at 2:39 pm

People need to remember when this season was filmed because it was during the height of the election and BLM. So if they didn’t address these things on the show, people would have been mad. Reality shows should always be real. I don’t understand why people hate Eboni so much when a lot of people were having these conversations at this time in their own lives.

5. Michele Burton

July 4, 2021 at 6:05 pm

I think Eboni is a great addition! She brings exactly what is needed to the table with this New York privileged group of women; education, experience, and class!!
    Luann, and Ramona, can definitely learn from Eboni;that is if they’re capable and want to learn!!

6. Amanda Anderson-Niles

July 4, 2021 at 8:06 pm

Just a reminder, racist comments and personal attacks won’t be posted and will get you permanently banned from this site. This is the last warning. Thanks.

• Babygirl

July 4, 2021 at 8:33 pm

The fact that you had to come out and say this is exactly why Eboni is needed on this show.

• Ugh!

July 6, 2021 at 5:30 am

Lately the comment section is filled with emotional people who can’t stop bringing up RHOA and M2M. It’s annoying !

• Im Saying

July 6, 2021 at 7:55 am

You are the same person who brought up Porsha Williams on a Mimi Faust post just four days ago. You lack self awareness.

7. Tea

July 4, 2021 at 8:09 pm

I like Eboni and I love how she triggers people. 😂

8. Ms. Jackson

July 4, 2021 at 8:38 pm

I’m always going to support educated black women who make racists uncomfortable as f-ck. I also appreciate that Eboni is also exposing how these fan pages were fake allies the whole time. One day they have BLM in their profile and now they’re mad at a black woman loving her blackness and speaking on racism and black history.

9. Oprah’s Wig

July 4, 2021 at 8:53 pm

This situation and the Rachel Nichols situation are triggering. Reminds me of all I had to deal
    with in Corporate America. The racism…the microaggressions. The gaslighting. Woo! I’m so glad and thankful I work for myself now.

10. Ms Eby

July 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

Bravo is one of my favorite channels to watch. I am a fan of RHONY. I appreciate Eboni but girl the black history class is so not necessary. Many of us watch these shows for escape not for lectures. Real Housewives of Beverly Hills has Garcelle Beauvais. She is fun and funny, she will correct her cast mates about the black experience not shove it down their throat. IJS

• Rainbow

July 5, 2021 at 11:08 am

Why are you leaving out the part about Garcelle also being dragged online for telling her experience of being singled out about the charity situation and how it’s like dealing with microaggressions when doing simple things like tipping while black? I wish people would be honest and admit that the real issue is white people don’t like it when black people talk about race and racism because that’s the real issue. You watch a reality show to escape reality? You really expected a reality show to not touch on current issues in the country? I’m sorry but that sounds ridiculous. RHOA addressed BLM, George Floyd, and Breonna Taylor. Married To Medicine touched on police brutality. And RHOP touched on slavery and racism. Why is it that RHONY is expected to not address those issues? Let me pull up a chair for this answer because I’m seeing a common denominator that no one wants to address yet.

• The Truth

July 5, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Did you really think before writing this comment? A black history class is ALWAYS needed since most Americans have no idea about any of it. Most of you knew nothing about the Tulsa Massacre until HBO came out with Watchmen. Sadly a lot of white people won’t learn black history outside of television and film. And I ask you, why do some of you make no major effort to? Are we not Americans too? I literally just saw Ramona butcher Madam CJ Walker’s name while trying to prove to Eboni that she doesn’t need any “lectures” on black history.

11. Melissa K

July 5, 2021 at 11:26 am

Umm that fan and people who agreed with her are crazy. Everyone was talking about race, racism, police brutality, the election and the virus while this season was being filmed. It’s stupid to expect these things to not be addressed in some way or form on the show. I believe Eboni was brought in specifically for that reason. I never really watched RHONY before until Eboni joined because I couldn’t relate to the women on the show. All of them seemed to lack substance from what I have read on blogs. They honestly never represented true New Yorkers to me.

12. Troll

July 5, 2021 at 11:36 am

Eboni is doing what needs to be done and I don’t give a f-ck who that offends. How on earth do you have a housewives show in New York with no diversity and no acknowledgement about the rich black culture that made the city great? The fact that most people didn’t know about Tulsa and Black Wall Street until Watchmen is exactly why people should use their platforms to educate. I’m always black. I don’t get to not be black on any day so why does anyone get to watch a reality show that ignores what’s currently affecting black people? That’s the problem now. People want to ignore sh-t because they don’t think it affects them personally. The lack of empathy is disturbing.

13. Lay Lay

July 5, 2021 at 11:42 am

A few of you have hit the nail on the head so my comment will be short. I think it’s telling that the people coming for Eboni expected that the Housewives show with a predominately white cast not address Black Lives Matter, the election, racism, etc. Like y’all really expected the white housewives to continue living in their own bubble, being drunk, and ignoring all the issues affecting every other community. Thank you for proving Eboni’s point.

• Fashionista

July 5, 2021 at 7:48 pm

You deserve a standing ovation. Well said sis.

14. Maddy

July 5, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Call me crazy- but we don’t watch RHONY for a history lesson- and those ladies certainly don’t exude higher education learning – it’s fine to educate people when your feelings are hurt because someone said something wrong- but really with the lessons- we are all the same – everybody has their sh-t – we’re all trying to get by in this thing called life – and if we keep pointing out our differences we will never get past racism- a better example would be to live our lives by learning to get along without all the bullsh-t- just my opinion

• Rainbow

July 5, 2021 at 12:25 pm

You watch reality television to learn about other people’s lives and reality. That’s literally the whole point. Eboni discusses her reality. You just don’t want to hear about racism or blackness. But you’re fine when that’s discussed on primarily black shows you don’t watch. Eboni is highly educated which is why she feels everyone on that show should be able to discuss uncomfortable subjects like racism. Also, it’s ignorant to say we’re all the same. We are not. Part of racism is the refusal to want to learn about other cultures and the experiences of marginalized communities. Saying that we can end racism by not discussing racism is also silly to say.

• Oprah’s Wig

July 5, 2021 at 12:32 pm

They get to escape from reality but Black people can’t even escape our reality on reality shows because we don’t have that privilege. We can’t ignore what’s happening in the country like they can. But these people swear they are our allies though. I appreciate Eboni for exposing people’s true colors.

• Oprah’s Wig

July 5, 2021 at 12:28 pm

This honestly infuriates me. Do you understand how black people have literally been stripped from our real history and we’re instead taught racist/fake history like Christopher Columbus? And you’re really sitting up here complaining that a black woman taught you real black history in two minutes of television while sitting in a black-owned restaurant? Yeah, I’m truly disgusted by some of these comments. What’s next? The “I don’t see color” lie?

• The Truth

July 5, 2021 at 12:47 pm

It’s a history lesson that’s needed since a lot of white people refuse to learn about black history outside of TV and film. And that’s a problem in itself. We’re Americans too. You’re doing yourself a disservice writing comments like this. Black History is American History and what Eboni is doing shouldn’t offend you unless you have some deeper issues you haven’t tended to.

15. Yeah I Said It!

July 5, 2021 at 1:25 pm

I’m mainly seeing nonblack people complaining and bashing Eboni and that’s not surprising. Bring up racism and black excellence and meltdowns everywhere. How many times have nonblack people on these Bravo shows been exposed for racist comments and behavior? Yet you have nonblack people saying they don’t need a “history lesson” or “lecture.” LOL.

16. Jacki

July 5, 2021 at 1:55 pm

I am going to stop watching RHONY BECAUSE OF ALL THE BLACK PREACHING. and Leah is just as bad and she is picking a private school for her daughter if she is so black matters why doesn’t she send her to public school. Now I fast forward through RHOBH WHEN GISELLE IS ON.

• IJS

July 5, 2021 at 2:02 pm

Congratulations, you’re racist. Bravo will be better off without your support.

• Rainbow

July 5, 2021 at 2:07 pm

The American Education System is 99.9% white preaching so no one cares about you busting a blood vessel over a few minutes of black preaching. Also, black children also attend private schools as well so what are you even talking about?

17. Get Busy

July 5, 2021 at 2:18 pm

It’s bigger than racism. If a person has been a dumb a-s their entire life, they have decided to be closed minded and not learn about the other cultures around them. Intelligent people are open minded and always open to learning about all the different people in the country they claim to love.