Queen Sugar Ratings Drop in Season 3, Are Storylines to Blame?

‘Queen Sugar’ Suffers Drop in Ratings

Photo Credit: OWN/YouTube

“Queen Sugar” is back for season 3, and the storylines has caused a lot of debate on social media.

Many fans of the show aren’t happy about the budding romance between Nova and Remy.

Ava Duvernay even took to Twitter to defend writers going in that direction.

Interestingly enough, ratings have taken a hit.

1. Gloria

July 25, 2018 at 2:37 pm

I’ve mainly seen people say they are turned off by the Remy and Nova storyline. The relationship isn’t true to the characters and a lot of people feel the show has jumped the shark going there.

2. Ms. Jackson

July 25, 2018 at 2:45 pm

A lot of these storylines are dumb as f-ck. Blue not being Ralph Angel’s biological son was the first f-ck up of the season. Then they turn around and have him and Darla fight over a child that isn’t technically his. Sh-t is stupid. Then he’s out here treating black women like thots, but is ready to wife up this Asian chick after one date. How did Ava think people would take that? The Nova and Remy situation is corny and doesn’t make sense for the characters. Charley being hurt by Davis having another child is also dumb. Aunt Vi giving Hollywood a hard time about helping her in any and every way is dumb when she’s ready to let a complete stranger and white man invest in her business. Just last season she said she doesn’t trust white people. What changed in a few episodes that we didn’t get to see? The writers are on one right now.

• Im Sayin

July 25, 2018 at 3:52 pm

*standing ovation*

3. E

July 25, 2018 at 2:46 pm

I don’t watch it anymore because of that storyline. All African American people are not like that. So why go there on camera. That is nasty to me having Remy dip his p-nis in Nova after dipping it in Charlie’s v-gina.

4. Deb

July 25, 2018 at 2:48 pm

I knew the writing was on the wall when it was confirmed a white woman was being made the new show runner. How does Ava figure hiring a white woman to tell black stories would work out just fine? The show has such an anti-black feel to it now.

5. Barbee

July 25, 2018 at 2:56 pm

I’m not surprised. I’m usually pressed to watch it but I’m not anymore.

6. Chelly

July 25, 2018 at 3:34 pm

It’s just been too much bad writing.

7. My 2 Cents

July 25, 2018 at 3:50 pm

See when you do clownery, the clown comes back to bite. Ava thought she would hit a home run with this Nova and Remy situation but people are not here for it. Just wait til they sleep together. Ratings will drop even more.

8. Im Sayin

July 25, 2018 at 3:55 pm

It’s gotten really bad. I hate the Remy and Nova relationship. But I hate where they are going with Ralph and Darla just as much. I’m just ready for Greenleaf now. I can tell Queen Sugar won’t be improving this season since Ava is defending all these terrible plots.

9. Lisa

July 25, 2018 at 4:01 pm

It’s just not good. When you’re not even looking forward to watching it, something is really wrong. The only storyline I’m feeling is the one about the Landry family. But it’s the most neglected one. Everything else is too soap opera like or something to please the Tumblr crowd. I won’t stop watching yet but they need to do better.

10. CiCi

July 25, 2018 at 6:29 pm

No one wants to see Nova sleep with her sister’s ex. It cheapens her.

11. Hater

July 25, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Some people I talk to said they aren’t watching because it’s been too slow and boring.

July 25, 2018 at 6:49 pm

I hate that they are making Darla out to be a villain now. I loved her character the first two seasons and I hate that no one lets her forget her past but Ralph’s past isn’t an issue. He literally robbed a corner store the first episode fresh out of prison. He’s just as flawed as Darla.

July 25, 2018 at 11:12 pm

I’m just about done with this show. Charley is literally sh-tted on by everybody except Ralph Angel. She deserves a break but I doubt she will get one. I went from loving this show to being so turned off by it.

July 25, 2018 at 11:13 pm

And Remy is trash! Worst character on the show.

15. Dru

July 26, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Another show Oprah will soon be dropping. It is soooo boring. Even the Have and Have Nots is loosing attention,Tika trying to hold it down still does’nt do it. Time for Oprah to refresh OWN. Shows are good for a while then they get lost in story lines and people stop watching.