Entertainment

Roland Martin & Kofi Siriboe Express Frustrations with Current Season of ‘Queen Sugar’

The relationship between Remy and Nova on this season of “Queen Sugar has really rubbed people the wrong way.

People hopped on social media to express disgust with the direction of the show.

TV personality Roland Martin expressed this sentiment on Twitter.

Roland specifically said the romance between Remy and Nova isn’t believable. He would’ve much rather seen the romantic tension between Remy and Charley.

Check out the tweets below.

Interestingly enough, Kofi Siriboe may have his own bone to pick regarding the season.

He liked an Instagram comment in which a viewer expressed frustration with Ralph Angel’s love life. They specifically didn’t like how he simply had s*x with black women while he tried to make an Asian woman his new love interest.

July 26, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Well this has to be embarrassing to the writers. I’ll tolerate this sh-t show of a season if it means the show will be better next season.

2. Pat

July 26, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Kofi’s real life boo is a beautiful black woman. I don’t blame him for being annoyed. The writers are really trying it with all of these characters right now.

3. Babygirl

July 26, 2018 at 7:43 pm

This is a horrible look for the writers, the show runner and Ava. When you have someone famous like Roland Martin using his platform to call out the writing, you need to rethink some things. And I’m not surprised Kofi lied that comment. Have y’all seen his girlfriend? She’s bad and BLACK. The messages the writers are sending regarding the romantic parings on this show outside of Vi and Hollywood are problematic.

4. Fashionista

July 26, 2018 at 7:54 pm

Roland’s tweets were so on point. I can’t believe the writers thought we would all of a sudden buy that relationship if Remy smoked some weed and rolled a blunt. Like that would make everything okay. It actually made things even worse.

5. Xanthia

July 26, 2018 at 9:17 pm

This needs to be a wake up call for Ava.

6. Yeah I Said It!

July 26, 2018 at 9:23 pm

LOL. Oh man this season has been a mess. Even Kofi is feeling a type of way.

July 26, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Both feel the way I do about both storylines. Queen Sugar used to be one of my favorite shows. What a disappointing season.

July 27, 2018 at 11:52 am

That comment Kofi liked…yeah I felt that. I’m so sad that the season has been such a letdown. I do hope they are able to make it up to all of us with the season finale. Oh and the Micah storyline is awful too. I hate that he pushed his beautiful dark skinned girlfriend to the back to befriend those hotep hoodlums.

9. Over It

July 27, 2018 at 12:03 pm

I don’t know why people are surprised. Think about it. This show has always had questionable writing. Nova wasn’t even a character in the book. Ava created Nova because she wanted someone that resembled her personality wise on the show. Nova was meant to add that pro blackness factor but she’s truly a mess of a character that wasn’t needed. She reminds me of Daryl from TWD. An awful character with no source material that sucks the life out original characters. I wish the show was more like the book.

10. Patrice

July 27, 2018 at 12:19 pm

I honestly was hoping Charley would slap the sh-t out of Nova during that talking scene. Anyway..I plan to keep watching Queen Sugar. Every show will go through growing pains if it can survive one season. The first two seasons were excellent. They just need to go back to the drawing board and remember what made the show great. It’s not these silly soap opera storylines. Tyler Perry has that on lock. That is not what we watch Queen Sugar for. And also, you can’t make black women feel unwanted on their own show. This is OUR show. We make up the majority of the viewers. We don’t want to see a beautiful black man like Ralph Angel telling black women they are only good for sleeping with in the barn, just to turn around and take the Asian girl on an actual date and meet her family. Let’s also not forget that the treatment of Darla has been horrible. It was great to see a black woman overcome addiction. Now they are making her out to be a monster, and that’s not okay. Then we have Nova, a strong black woman who loves her community sleeping with her sister’s ex. We do not want to see this. They don’t need to ignore us and continue in this direction. If Ralph Angel is not going to be with Darla anymore, let’s see him meet an actual black woman who has her life together. Can we see him be happy? Can we see Nova end this madness with Remy and actually be a better sister to Charley, for once? Sheesh.

11. 404

July 27, 2018 at 1:57 pm

I would love for Charley to have some kind of happiness. She deserves better.

12. Bev Willis

July 27, 2018 at 3:21 pm

I’ve stopped watching all together. Nothing positive going on.

• Carolyn Harvey

August 23, 2019 at 3:34 am

This is a blatant contradiction on Ava’s and the writer’s of “Queen Sugar” part when it comes to “Black Love/Relations. WHY!Is it that a “black woman” was written as the object of s-xual satisfaction for the handsome character “Ralph Angel”, but yet. the “Asian” woman is written as a potential love interest to be wined/dined? Treated in a more respectful manner, which should have been written for the sisters in the show as well? After all, we,(they), are more than just as deservelng to be treated as such.
      Poor, inconsiderate, noticeable writing here!

I am hoping the comments of concerns from “Queen Sugar” viewers/fans are being seriously considered for better writing, representations for all of your excellent, high quality, professional African American actors of this “OWN” show, or the show ratings may eventually suffer because of what is being perceived as stereotyping.

13. Anon

July 27, 2018 at 5:01 pm

He’s not wrong and neither is Kofi. Ava is the one that wrote the episode that introduced Nova and Remy (when they were at the sink). She’s wrong for that and needs to come back and correct things. “I would have much preferred to see the constant tension between Charley and Remy” ME TOO. Charley and Remy had great, very familiar chemistry and a exploring the two of them after the breakup, dating other people (not family) and getting back together at the end of the season would have been great to see.

14. T$

July 27, 2018 at 5:58 pm

I totally agree with Patrice! Let’s not make a questionable season discourage our support of a overall WONDERFUL show. In all actuality, sometimes in real life we’ve done or at least know of someone who have done some shady ish. Blurred line between reality and fiction…

15. Lois

July 28, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Why could we have not seen the love between a handsome blk man sensitive man and a sister grow of Kofi. This is our show. We want to be validated. Then they put Charley with a white guy, when she got this beautiful brother she with, then she made her sister a lesbian last year. And now she want her sister man this year, she is suppose to be a strong blk woman who know right from wrong.. it seem like AVA does not value the The blk people in her writing, I Am Turn OFF

16. Kristyle Hawk

July 28, 2018 at 8:30 pm

What in the “Jerry Springer” has seeped into my sweet “Queen Sugar”. That’s all I have to say ummm ummm ummm.

17. Guest

July 29, 2018 at 11:02 am

I read a comment by Ava saying that the relationship between Nova and Remy is “real life”. IMO ppl watch tv to get away from the anxieties and stresses of life. We already know what happens in real life.. although I don’t know anyone who would get involved with a man whose dated their sister or close friend but, clearly there are some. Likewise, the storylines for Ralph Angel and Mica are frustrating. Why break up the black family? And Mica is heading down the wrong path.. those kids committed arson and vandalism.. now he’s having to run around scared bc of the consequences that could be his reality. Why not show them doing something more constructive like mentoring other youth? The intention maybe good but it’s led to criminal activity. Smh 🤦🏽‍♀️.. I’m so disappointed.. Idk if I’ll continue watching next season.

18. Catalina

September 19, 2019 at 8:50 pm

I would like to see Charley and Remy get back together that was a great team he is a college professional in the field she is in volved in assisting all the black farmers . Please bring them back together showing black love maybe they get back together and get married. He would be tremendous help in her being a counsel women so supportive to her. Please bring him and her back together.Showing her with the Spanish guy look fake and the white Landry was worse everyone like her and Remy. They made a good team.