Jussie Smollett Update: All Charges Dropped Against 'Empire' Actor

All Charges Have Been Dropped Against Jussie Smollett

Jussie Smollett Update

Photo Credit: FOX

Many were thinking Jussie would end up behind bars for his hate crime scandal.

He told police and Gayle King that he was attacked by two masked men after exiting a Subway restaurant.

The actor claimed the two men yelled racist and homophobic comments at him and tied a noose around his neck before fleeing the scene.

It was also said that the two men poured bleach on him.

Originally, the two men were thought to be Donald Trump supporters because Jussie claimed they yelled, “This is MAGA country,” before leaving.

Then of course it was said that Jussie received a threatening letter while on set just days before.

Jussie went from being looked at as a victim of a hate crime to an attention seeking actor who staged his own attack just days after the story broke.

In fact, the Chicago Police Department accused him of staging the attack and paying two men to get the job done.

Jussie denied all of this but it was said that he could be sentenced to over 20 years in prison if found guilty.

However, his lawyers have confirmed that all charges were dropped.

Jussie will have to forfeit his $10,000 bond to the city of Chicago.

The case itself has been a messy one.

After multiple leaks came out about the story and multiple “sources” began spreading information to the media that was not quite accurate, an investigation was then launched on the CPD.

One big hiccup that may have helped Jussie was the CPD claiming the two men who they believed Jussie paid to attack him confirmed he wrote a check as their payment.

However, said men actually said the check was actually for training as Jussie did hire both men to help him get his body into shape months prior.

March 26, 2019 at 12:12 pm

This has been such a wild story. I’m just glad it’s over.

2. Lay Lay

March 26, 2019 at 12:15 pm

I knew this would be the outcome after the investigation started on the CPD. The way they handled the situation was messy, personal and vindictive. They were too relentless.

3. Ms. Jackson

March 26, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Lmao! I’m over here tickled. I ain’t even mad. I don’t know if he’s innocent or not because so many lies were put out. But the CPD ain’t never been sh-t. They let R Kelly get away with raping little black girls for years but went hard at Jussie for possibly lying about an attack. F-ck out of here. I’m glad Jussie got off.

March 26, 2019 at 12:34 pm

What in the world?

5. Realness

March 26, 2019 at 12:36 pm

The CPD got way too cocky. I’m sure Jussie’s lawyers used the fact that the CPD refused to indict those two brothers as their defense. Add the fact that the CPD is under investigation for corruption and they stayed trying to make an example out of Jussie and this is result you get.

March 26, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Looks like they didn’t have enough proof if charges were dropped. Maybe the chief shouldn’t have done so much grandstanding.

7. anon anon

March 26, 2019 at 12:42 pm

I read somewhere the police couldn’t even prove who was actually in those skimasks. The whole case fell apart.

8. Troll

March 26, 2019 at 12:46 pm

I’m not mad at all.

9. Lisa

March 26, 2019 at 1:51 pm

They never had any proof. Public opinion ain’t proof.

10. Pat

March 26, 2019 at 2:43 pm

It’s crazy to see so many black people on Twitter siding with the CPD like the CPD ain’t always been on some corrupt sh-t. CPD out here killing innocent black people and covering it up, but today black folks believe the CPD? Really? And don’t get me started on them regurgitating the sh-t Trump supporters have been spewing. This case has opened my eyes on a lot.

11. Tee

March 26, 2019 at 6:40 pm

I feel like he did something wrong. If he was innocent like he said he is then he would not have his case sealed , he would not have to do community service and his 10,000 bond would go back to him. And I am not siding with the CPD. What’s wrong is wrong and he did something wrong….

• AR

March 27, 2019 at 6:07 am

I agree. Although the CPD was trying the case on camera, I believe Smollett was not being truthful. He may have gotten off on these charges, but, I believe he will pay a price through his career. If he was fighting for a pay raise on Empire (the purpose of his plot) and, if what they say is true, may be believable to the Fox network. I wouldn’t be surprised if the producers of Empire are rewriting the finale for this season, and, Smollett end up in the casket.

March 27, 2019 at 10:13 am

Cops messed up by letting internet sleuths aka Trump supporters influence their investigation. If you’re getting your “evidence” from Twitter, this was bound to happen. Anyway, Chicago police have gotten away with much worse than what Jussie did. So I’m not about to sit on here and be mad for the CPD.