Actress Viola Davis Says Praying for a Husband Works

Discussion

Actress Viola Davis Says Praying for a Husband Works

Photo Credit: Chrisa Hickey

Photo Credit: Chrisa Hickey

Actress Viola Davis rose to stardom after she had an amazing performance in The Help. Her performance didn’t end in an Oscar win like it did for costar Octavia Spencer, but it did lead to more movie roles. Viola isn’t just adored for her acting skills, but many black women appreciate her because she always comes off as a down to earth actress, and even dared to rock her natural hair on the red carpet as an Oscar nominee in an industry that puts pressure on women of color to rock wigs and weaves. But Davis is also very lovable because she opens up in her interviews and always shares a piece of herself.

Viola plays in another film entitled Beautiful Creatures. During the premiere the other day she opened up about her marriage and the difficulty she had finding love. Viola claims that she was having a hard time finding a husband. But it would be a friend’s suggestion that would quickly change everything in her non-existent love life. She tells the New York Post that when she expressed that she was becoming frustrated from looking for a partner, a close friend suggested that she try praying for a husband instead. And according to Viola, it worked because she met the love of her life and husband three weeks after putting her request in to God.

She says:

“I was the loneliest woman in the world, and someone said, ‘You should just pray for a husband.’

“I said I wanted a big black man from the South who looked like a football player, who already had children, who maybe had been married before . . . 3 1/2 weeks later I met my husband.”

Davis married fellow actor and former college football player Julius Tennon in 2003 and the happy couple adopted a daughter last year.

But what do you think about Viola’s story? Do you think praying for a husband is worth it? And is it the best way to attract a partner?

Leave your thoughts in the comment section.

Spotted at Sandra Rose.

February 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm

She’s right. I actually prayed for a husband, and the next relationship I had after that prayer was the one with my now husband. But the trick to it is having faith, standards, and also being patient. And we also have to be very careful what we ask for in a husband because God does answers prayers. I don’t remember asking him for certain physical traits, but I did pray that he had a good heart, was loyal, and treated me with respect. I was blessed and got all those things.

• Ratchet Queen

February 13, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Awe, again congrats. I love to hear your take on relationships. You gave me hope though. You really did.

• Barbee

February 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm

😉

• Gia

February 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I’m happy it worked out for you love.

• Gretta

February 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Love this. Thanks for the motivation.

2. Meeka

February 13, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I’m going to be very real here and admit that I never even thought about doing this. But it’s cool to hear Queen and Viola were able to find love through prayer. I think I may give it a shot because I’ve been attracting the wrong kind of men lately. Smh.

• Shia

February 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Girl I feel your pain lol

3. Barbee

February 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm

This works BUT patience is the hard part. I also think women should let the man find them. Too many times we’re trying to find something or someone, and we end up hurt. So as of now, I have been chillin and observing, just waiting on God. Hopefully he will find me.

4. CiCi

February 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Prayer works in every aspect of our lives, so of course we can find a husband through prayer. I love Viola and I’m glad she shared this.

5. Zodiac

February 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Great advice. More of us should be praying instead of looking.

6. Leslie

February 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I really needed to read this. It’s hard out here. lol

7. Oprah's Wig

February 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, I’m about to pray for a husband myself. I’m happy for the women who ended up happy in the end. I’m hoping I will get there too.

8. Shayla

February 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Of course this works. I’ve done it and i know I’ll get who God has for me.

9. JT

February 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Prayer can definitely work in achieving this goal but as stated earlier by someone else, you must be specific! I wasn’t and it turned out bad, but now I’ve put in my prayer request to God and am waiting patiently on the blessing. It’s yours for the asking if you want it bad enough!