'Greenleaf' Recap: Grace Suffers a Major Tragedy + James and Mae Get Married, Again

‘Greenleaf’ Recap: Grace Suffers a Major Tragedy + James and Mae Get Married, Again

Greenleaf Season 5 Episode 1 Recap

Photo Credit: OWN

Tonight’s “Greenleaf” season premiere is full of tremendous hope, yet major tragedy.

Calvary’s enduring major changes and its board is full of regret. As Mae’s enduring fasting, James prayerfully comes into a new plan. Meanwhile, Charity manages to get the position she wanted. But, it comes at major costs which include a surprising resignation.

Jacob and Kerissa are at the end of things and Jacob seeks to discover if Kerissa’s bombshell is actually true. In the process, he meets an old flame.

Speaking of old flames, Grace meets up with Darius once more and learns of a major plan in the process involving Harmony and Hope. Sophia also suffers from heartbreak by Dante but James and Mae decide to make things official.

Lastly, AJ feels tremendous amounts of guilt as he and Grace receive a major blessing. Unfortunately for AJ, this guilt may be too much to bear.

Here’s the recap for, “The First Day.”

A.J. is a publisher and writer for Urban Belle Mag. A.J. has a passion for HBCUs, learning technology, and reality tv.

June 24, 2020 at 8:38 am

Charity and Kerissa annoy me so much.

• Jackie

June 24, 2020 at 8:06 pm

Yes.. so stressful

• Jennifer Holliday

June 25, 2020 at 12:59 pm

They are supposed to. Haha. Great acting.

• Donna Peirson

June 25, 2020 at 2:39 pm

I totally agree. One is too stupid to be real and the other is just miserable.

2. AR

June 24, 2020 at 9:22 am

Here are my thoughts. I don’t believe AJ was Grace’s son. I think the person she saw at Faith’s gravesite was her real son. With this train of thought, I think AJ’s conscious got the best of him.

• Howard E. Clemens Jr

June 24, 2020 at 10:33 am

Well first and foremost, I said the exact same thing in regards to AJ not being her son however that other fella at Faith’s grave he certainly is a Greenleaf. I am interested to see how all of this Harmony and Hope works out!

• Vivian

June 24, 2020 at 6:09 pm

I think you are right. Those are my thoughts also.

• Tanya Newman-Jenkins

June 29, 2020 at 2:04 pm

Best drama since Dallas.

• Jeanette Hamilton

June 24, 2020 at 8:41 pm

My thinking also. I also think AJ killed GRACES’ real son and her son met her at that grave site. AJ conscious got to him and he killed himself…just my thoughts.

• Evaxie Durand

June 25, 2020 at 7:00 pm

A great plot twist would be that someone died but not the guy in the picture. Could it be that there were more than one cell mate and the real AJ comes into play. Otherwise why introduce the character just to kill him off and break Grace’s heart all over again. Hmmmmmmm?????🤔🤔🤔

• Tina

June 25, 2020 at 10:35 am

I agree too. I think the guy and Aj was cell mates. And Aj got out and used the information to get in touch with Grace. I don’t think Aj died, and will tell Grace before he do. I think Nikki is having a baby.

• Jseagal120

June 24, 2020 at 10:40 am

Yess my exact thoughts!!

• Lisa

June 24, 2020 at 3:01 pm

I agree I believe that the guy walking through the cemetery was Graces son. They had the same hair & coloring. I think he felt guilt over the taking the guys identity, plus I believe him & the guy crossed paths in prison & maybe came up with some kind of plan. Because why would the guy walk through the cemetery while graces is there & utter a couple of words to her. I forget what the words were but I remember him & his words seem to jolt Grace.

• Deedra

June 24, 2020 at 7:04 pm

I did not think of the guy at the grave site to really be Grace’s son. I thought he was a spirit.

• Tricia

June 24, 2020 at 9:23 pm

I totally agree. I don’t believe AJ was Grace’s real son either.

• Renee H.

June 25, 2020 at 7:58 am

First of all I think Kerissa has low self worth and she wants what Mae Greenleaf has. Charity’s problem is a lack of self love and AJ is a fraud. I think the guy that walked upon Grace at Faith’s grave site is her real son. They might have met in jail and AJ took his story and used his identity pretending to be the real AJ.

• Jenna Holliday

June 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm

That would be a juicy plot twist

• Elin Derfler

June 25, 2020 at 1:19 pm

Same

• Lisia

June 25, 2020 at 1:25 pm

I think that AJ was not her son but the other guy was

• Kendra

June 25, 2020 at 1:37 pm

DATS what my Momma Said yesterday when I showed her this episode cause I said how he just mysteriously shows up at the grave site where Grace Is & Knew Her Name & All

• Tashanda Fleming

June 25, 2020 at 5:00 pm

I totally agree…

3. Denise SW

June 24, 2020 at 9:39 am

Love this show yet not as strong of an opener as closing of last season. AJ is not her son. Happy for James and Lady Mae. Clarissa and Charity?

4. Snuggles

June 24, 2020 at 2:05 pm

The episode SUCKED!!!

• Tracy

June 25, 2020 at 6:59 am

I thought it was a great episode to start the new season. I think the young man at the grave was sent by God as the “ram in the bush” to get AJ off but AJ’s guilt got the best of him.

• Neicy

June 25, 2020 at 3:55 pm

I have grown to like AJ but I don’t think he is Grace’s son. I think AJ was overwhelmed that he was accepted by the family and his conscience bothered him

5. Cecile Boyd

June 24, 2020 at 4:46 pm

It felt to me like everything major was rushed into this first episode. What is there to look forward too?

6. Ida Koram

June 24, 2020 at 5:54 pm

12 commercials between each segment! Geeshh!!!!!

• Linda

June 24, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I think with this being a religious show the writer decided too add some supernatural parts like the guy in the graveyard i believe he was an angel who gave his life so Aj could have a second chance at life, but the demons in Aj were too 💪 so he decided too end his life….like the old saying goes be careful how you treat people you could be talking too an angel…

7. MARIAH

June 25, 2020 at 2:16 am

I think Grace & AJ should have done a DNA from the beginning otherwise I believe he just wanted to use her for financial gain & he is now starting to feel guilty bcoz he is not her real son

• Stikkea

June 25, 2020 at 8:14 am

I think Grace was so consumed by guilt that all she could think to do was cater to AJ’s request for money. Her guilt blocked her ability to think. She should have done a DNA test in the beginning. His attitude towards her was to aggressive and he played on ger guilt.

8. Brittany

June 25, 2020 at 8:06 am

I agree that the season opener left a lot to be desired. It felt rushed and not as richly performed as the previously their previous episodes.

I wonder if they have different writers because something was terribly off. Maybe the next episode will be better.

9. Lisa

June 25, 2020 at 10:41 am

Love the episode those grandkids are the devil, Charity have bad choices in men,Jacob is the father of Alexa daughter

10. Barbee

June 25, 2020 at 11:16 am

I can’t believe this is the final season. I wonder why they are ending it now.

• J Holliday

June 25, 2020 at 1:04 pm

I know! Such an amazing show.

11. allen

June 25, 2020 at 1:03 pm

The writers are terrible!!! The show was a let down, I’m glad this is the last season.

12. Kala

June 25, 2020 at 4:47 pm

I think AJ stole the identity of the real AJ (the one at the gravesite). His guilt got the best of him because the real AJ died at the expense of him using his identity.

13. MARIAH

June 25, 2020 at 9:27 pm

The signs were there all along but Grace was too quick to accept this shady character.Remember when AJ first came to Town & he went to Aaron’s office for help but instead run off thru the back door.I think he got scared when he realized that Arron was a lawyer & might find out who he really was.By the way,did Noar ever meet AJ?? Let’s hope he is not dead & will finally disclose his real identity

14. Dee

June 30, 2020 at 4:24 pm

I’ve constantly ask who is the guy at the gravesite?

15. Debra

July 4, 2020 at 5:56 pm

I agreed to all comments. It has never crossed my mind that AJ was not the real son. It also never crossed my mind that the guy at the gravesite was the real son. I thought it was an angel. That particular part brought tears to my eyes. However, the AJ that tried to commit suicide broke my heart. But, I noticed on how AJ looked at the picture of the guy that look just like him. Grace need to wake up from her horrible dream. But it maybe too late because she became so attached to AJ. Sadly, I did to.