Quantcast
'Growing Up Hip Hop' Star Egypt Responds to Criticism over Her Engagement Ring Coming from Pawn Shop

‘Growing Up Hip Hop’ Star Egypt Responds to Criticism over Her Engagement Ring Coming from Pawn Shop

Photo Credit: WE tv

“Growing Up Hip Hop” star Egypt is getting a lot of criticism for her relationship with her boo Sam. Some fans of the show think Sam is just an opportunist. And he sees Egypt as a come up.

Tee Tee and Briana share this opinion. In fact, both have been trying to keep Sam from proposing to Egypt on the latest season. But they won’t be successful as Egypt and Sam are now engaged.

Regardless, plenty of people still have plenty to say about Egypt’s engagement ring. They can’t get past the fact that Sam got it from a pawn shop.

Egypt addressed this during a recent interview.

January 17, 2020 at 11:43 am

Black women are always taught to have the lowest standards? Why?

• Raintree

January 17, 2020 at 12:17 pm

The ring is pretty. After both of my divorces I pawned the rings. Like she said it don’t matter where it come from.

• Erica

January 17, 2020 at 12:28 pm

That’s the issue. They don’t know where that ring came from. I believe in energy and I’m very spiritual. I don’t want to wear a ring from a divorcee as a newlywed. If your marriage didn’t work, I’m not trying to bring that energy into my new marriage. They are both getting paid to be on a reality show a lot of people watch. He didn’t have to go to a pawn shop. Women need to raise their standards.

• Deanna Danielson

January 17, 2020 at 1:29 pm

Who cares where sam bought her ring. She would be happy with anything. Why? Because ahe loves him. TeeTee needs to shut up and mind her business. Nobody likes to see this meanness in her and its for nothing. She will MARRY him.

• Erica

January 17, 2020 at 1:45 pm

You and Egypt are both entitled to your low standards.

• Anonymous

January 17, 2020 at 1:52 pm

You said: “She would be happy with anything.”

Well, that’s my original point. Why are black women raised this way? Why are black women raised to have the lowest standards with men and relationships?

• Summer

January 17, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Erica you took the words right out of my mouth. Raise yr standards ladies.

• Trish

January 17, 2020 at 1:44 pm

You’ve been divorced twice? Yikes.

• Tehuti Goddess

January 19, 2020 at 4:52 am

LOL 😂😂😂😂😂

• Vickie

January 19, 2020 at 6:38 pm

My husband & I are married 37 years and guess what my first ring came from a pawn shop now three rings later.It wasn’t about the price or trying to keep up with the jones or lowering my standards being a Black women. It was the COMMITTMENT we made when saying our VOWELS💞💞 Happy New Years everyone

• Victoria

February 4, 2020 at 7:00 am

Ma’am, I hope you weren’t saying your vowels when you got married. If so, you may want to make sure you’re really married. It’s vows, not vowels.

• ms. Ellis

January 17, 2020 at 5:10 pm

Exactly, I think the young man was smart to get it without overpaying for it. Jewelry has a rediculous markups on the prices. Kudos and have a wonderful life together. let the haters be your motivators.

• Lay Lay

January 17, 2020 at 5:12 pm

What is there to hate on?

• Tehuti Goddess

January 19, 2020 at 5:01 am

Not a D-mn Thang!!!! Yoooooo….. That MF is gonna be WHUPPING her Dumb too… Watch!!!! Just like lying a-s treach was [email protected]#$$% Adrienne Bailon AND WAS BEATING THEE “THEE WHOLE ENTIRE” Sheeit outta Pepa’s Delusional, Pill popping, Coke Sniffing a-s if She Questioned him!!!! Sam is A FREAKING LOSER!!!! POINT BLANK PERIOD!!!! I swear Family he looks like a Murderer to me!!!!! There’s ABSO-MF-LUTLEY NOTHING Genuine about Heem!!!🤨

• Peachy

January 17, 2020 at 5:19 pm

Sam is not some financial genius. He bought the ring from the pawn shop because he doesn’t have money like that. His father was on the show an episode ago telling him he can’t even provide for a wife. No one is hating. People are just using their common sense.

• Mashonda Robertson

January 18, 2020 at 1:25 am

Egypt is so slow,he doesn’t have a job,no income , 2 kids he don’t provide for but want to marry you girl bye,as a mother am very disappointed in you pepper you want to be younger than you daughter so sad

• Gigi

January 19, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Don’t matter he could have gotten it from Walmart why share some one else Failure and Energy that is still wrong there they want stay together. Might as well go to the Thrift Stores to buy Her 👗 dress Now that would make a match.

• Banysrdone

January 18, 2020 at 9:31 am

She looks pregnant, her face is getting so round.

• Ms.robeson

January 21, 2020 at 8:30 pm

It doesn’t matter, it’s not an important part of the relationship

• Get Busy

January 17, 2020 at 12:20 pm

This is a conversation they don’t want to have. They will just come on here and prove your point sadly.

• Anonymous

January 17, 2020 at 1:52 pm

That’s exactly what they are doing.

• Erica

January 17, 2020 at 12:29 pm

I’m noticing this more and more these days.

• Miss J

January 17, 2020 at 2:30 pm

Oh I’ll answer this for you sis. I’ll keep it 100 too. Thanks to racism and white supremacy, black women basically are bombarded with the narrative that we are the least desirable. A lot of us start to buy into this, and we become desperate to “have a man.” That’s why you’ll see other black women bash a black woman for not having one. That’s where the whole, “She can’t even keep a man!” thing comes from. Add that to the fact that black women are expected to always hold black men down, and you can’t be surprised that most black women will accept just about anything. Meanwhile in other communities, it’s frowned upon to have kids before marriage, be with a man with multiple kids and baby mommas, and be okay with getting an engagement ring from a pawn shop, etc. Common sense is a man probably shouldn’t be trying to propose to anyone if he can’t afford to buy a ring that isn’t in a pawn shop. And common sense is a woman shouldn’t be trying to marry a man who isn’t financially stable. But real love, right?

• Anonymous

January 17, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Thank you for actually answering my questions. Well said.

• Claire

January 18, 2020 at 10:11 am

Newsflash! About 60-70 percent of the white 30 year old males I know don’t have money for a real ring. Have you heard of the heroin epidemic that’s destroyed communities since the 2000s? It’s about love and if a guy works hard and made mistakes in their past and can’t afford a 10 k ring then i accept it. It’s not about being black. It’s about being young.

• Miss J

January 18, 2020 at 10:21 am

The druggies you know have nothing to do with this topic.

• Shannon

January 18, 2020 at 10:46 am

Exactly.

• Shannon

January 18, 2020 at 10:46 am

Silly comment. Most white people aren’t drug addicts. Of course drug addicts can’t afford to buy an engagement ring. That goes without saying. But the fact that you needed to use drug addicts to defend a black man’s inability to afford an engagement ring proves Miss J’s points. You don’t even have to spend $10,000 for a real engagement ring. Going to a pawn shop was tacky. Love doesn’t pay the bills either. The wealth gap between whites and blacks will never change with your mindset.

• Tehuti Goddess

January 19, 2020 at 5:10 am

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO 👏👏👏👏🙏!!!! GUUURRRLLLL….. you said That Sheeeit!!! And you ain’t NEVA lied!!!!! I’m SOOOOOOOO FREAKING glad that I raised my daughter to pick a Brutha that’s Up to standard and has Something going for himself!!!! Also Don’t Allow ANY NAGA to live with you!!!!!! Make sure he has his Own Sheeit!!!😏

• PB

January 19, 2020 at 7:57 am

Thank you for perfectly stating the truth.

• Kimberly Jackson

January 19, 2020 at 1:20 pm

And there you have it

• Lara Slaughter

January 17, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Last time I checked diamonds are millions of years old….a few years in a ring on someone else’s finger is no biggie!

• Anonymous

January 17, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Your response isn’t surprising.

• David E Taylor

January 17, 2020 at 6:17 pm

That’s not true, it’s sad that this young lady knows more about love then most women.

• Anonymous

January 17, 2020 at 6:21 pm

No, Egypt is actually naive with low standards like a lot of black women. She’s not some enlightened rarity. She’s very typical. And you’re only saying otherwise because her thought pattern and willingness to settle is what black men like yourself prefer.

• Tehuti Goddess

January 19, 2020 at 5:12 am

That Slow AS Chile Don’t know Jack about love!!!! SAM GREEN EGGS AND HAM IS A [email protected]#$% LOSER!!! POINT BLANK PERIOD 🤬

2. Sue Adams

January 17, 2020 at 2:14 pm

It’s the thought that count and he loves her

• Tehuti Goddess

January 19, 2020 at 5:13 am

Nuuuh….. he Loves Pepa taking care of his Sorry AS….. Only!!!!

3. Troll

January 17, 2020 at 2:39 pm

Sam’s own dad told y’all he’s a hot a-s mess. Keep making excuses for the sh-t he does though.

• Shavisa T Tramel

January 20, 2020 at 4:17 pm

My heart goes out to this young lady. She seems really sad to me and very alienated from piers her age when there shooting the show she’s only and always with Sam. We never really have seen her talk about anything outside of being in an relationship or dealings with her mom’s or the other casts issues. Something just seems off about her actually the same Slowness (for lack of a better word) that Pep shows we see has trickled down to her. She such a beautiful young lady It would be nice to see Egypt explore other interest or production show a more in-depth side to her and also Peps son their very intelligent and there must be more to them than what’s shown. I also would really like to have Sam’s baby mother’s come on the show and hear what’s their take on him. That’ll make the show real interesting

4. anon anon

January 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm

I can’t imagine being this desperate but she’s very young.

5. To Each Its Own

January 17, 2020 at 3:34 pm

How old is she? 21 right? When I was her age, I was too busy with school to be trying to marry someone with two kids and two baby mommas. And when I envisioned getting married at that age, I figured my husband would be educated with a good job so he wouldn’t need to buy my engagement ring from a pawn shop. But good luck to her. We don’t all see things the same way and we’re not supposed to.

6. aqualove

January 17, 2020 at 4:21 pm

I don’t watch the show so taking Egypt and Sam out of the equation, I see nothing wrong with a pawned engagement ring. In fact it could be a financially smart decision. I mean ya’ll do know diamond engagement rings was a marketing ploy created by Debeers in the 1930s

• Vee

January 17, 2020 at 4:31 pm

95% of the things you buy were due to marketing ploys. So that’s not a good excuse. And who even said it had to be diamonds? Your man should be working hard enough to make sure he’s good enough financially that buying an engagement ring shouldn’t be a setback and require pawn shop visits.

• Tehuti Goddess

January 19, 2020 at 5:24 am

PRECISELY!!!! I don’t see anything wrong with a Man giving you a pawnshop ring Either!!!! However This NAGA ain’t got A Darn Job!!! And he has 2 children to Boot!!!

• Linda

January 19, 2020 at 10:11 am

Not only that everyone keep saying it’s from the pawn shop do these fools know that the pawn shop do sell NEW jewelery it’s not all used and so what a diamond is a diamond some people walking around saying their engaged and their man didn’t even buy them a ring I rather have a pawn shop ring than no ring and I don’t care about their engagement it’s just the fact everyone keeps questioning where the ring came from some of you walking around with a CUBIC ZIRCONIA AND don’t even know it 🤣hmmm maybe you do know it and you’re mad js

7. LayDiva

January 17, 2020 at 4:22 pm

I’m not too particular about the cost of the ring…but my expectation is that we have a home of our own and we’re making money together. If he’s unable to provide a roof over your head and has no source of income outside of your parents, that’s a love not worth entertaining. The things you accept will let him know how he can treat you.

8. Taylor

January 17, 2020 at 4:27 pm

If your man is handling his business, he shouldn’t have to buy you an engagement ring from a pawn shop. Black men need stop having babies and getting married before getting their finances in order. I agree with Anonymous. Black women are really out here accepting anything now.

9. Tiffani Young

January 17, 2020 at 7:17 pm

I thought as long as someone is doing something from their heart that was all that matters. If I had a man who went out his way to show he loved me I would be THANKFUL!!!

10. Barbara

January 18, 2020 at 4:30 am

Dam I want a new ring to did he buy his frist wives a new ring. Maybe that’s why he bought it from a pawn shop.

11. T

January 18, 2020 at 8:24 am

The only reason Peppa approves is because is better than what she had at that age. Treach probably knows that they will do what they want anyways so he is just going with it.
    In general I don’t believe that anyone that young should be thinking of being engaged or married, you should be trying to know yourself,experience life as an individual and achieve something other than a Mr. or Mrs. title.

12. Ambitious

January 18, 2020 at 7:00 pm

TREACH DONT REALLY HAVE MONEY AND NOTHING HE PUT HIS HANDS 2 HAVE PROSPERED SMH HOPEFULLY HE’LL MAKE A BIG COME BACK AND BUY HER A CARDI B AND NIKKI MINAJ RING

13. Disappointed

January 18, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Some of you guys have basic poor mentalities. Whose really gonna accept a ring from a pawn shop??? Common sense tells you that he’s broke and won’t be able to provide for you or the family that y’all will have. Smh at these black females and males who really think this is “smart”….more like broke and unstable 🤦🏾‍♀️.

January 18, 2020 at 8:43 pm

U don’t need a man taking more money out of the household than what he is bringing in.

15. Kayveon tha don

January 19, 2020 at 6:04 am

Sam is not the business. First he ugly as a mug, the hair?? And his sexuality is a question. Egypt can do better. Im wondering why she mot in college? Everybody know she act kinda sheltered and slow. I think she will be pregnant by spring he is a thirst trap and is setting her up.

16. Ja'ya

January 20, 2020 at 12:50 pm

Egypt, sounds slow. She can’t even interview. Why is she talking